Wheelspin

caveboy

Picked up my GTI last Thursday with DSG transmission,have done 350 kilometers.

Taken off at the lights without flooring it but just a little quicker than normal and have had the wheel spin, hate to see what would happen if you floored it. Just wondering whether this is normal.

Yes, it's normal and quite easy to wheelspin or just lightly 'chirp' the tyres.

200 horses at the front wheels plus turbo is a recipe for such behaviour. However, it's just a matter of learning how she 'feels' and using the throttle smoothly and progressively. Obviously road surface conditions and state of tyres will play a part.

Even in dry conditions and with good (Piloti) driving shoes and 17K miles under my belt, I can still chirp the tyres occasionally without meaning to.

The Mk5 GTI may only be a Golf hatch but it responds best to being driven in a very focussed and attentive way imo. It may be a small family car, BUT....

[ QUOTE ]

Robin - I'd really like to see a pic of your zorst.

as an actress said to a bishop SAUER0421.GIF

have you got any you can post?

[/ QUOTE ]

...."Anything to oblige" said the bishop (turning a bit pink) to the actress:

18s_1.jpg

RearCloseUp.jpg

Are you thinking of quads? I know that Milltek have produced more and can supply worldwide.

I think they frighten away some of the boy-racers. Thanks for the compliment.

They are part of the Milltek Hi-flow+downpipe (aka Turbo-back) with straight through Non-Resonated system. Quiet at low revs, though still audible. Louder as the revs climb and a deep growl turning to banshee yell as she kisses the red zone. Even after spending hours in cars such as Milltek'd V8s and V6s I am surprised how I'm so far never disappointed when I get back into my GTI straight away.

I still don't know what they sound like from outside the car!!

[ QUOTE ]

They are part of the Milltek Hi-flow+downpipe (aka Turbo-back) with straight through Non-Resonated system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice of system. I imagine that would put a smile on your face when you want it to, but be easy to live with too. Really suits what the GTI is all about 169144-ok.gif

She's not re-mapped, though a perfect setup for doing so, and so I gain quite a noticeable throttle response. Personally, I hate driving cars which are so well soundproofed that I can't hear what the engine is doing. When I eventually get the Carbonio Cold Air Intake (was supposed to have been shipped on 6th July!!), the turbo spool will improve (not that it needs it!) and it will balance the exhaust well, I'm told.

It'll be very interesting to see what graphs are given at the TSN rolling road meet at AmD in September which shark_90 is organising. See you there, ACA_Chap 169144-ok.gif.