Bloody Rattle

puttling

It's driving me bonkers!!!! smashfreakB.gif

The rear seats are rattling like a rattle snakes arse!!

Took me ages to pin point it, but at long last I realised that when I lowered the rear seat back rests when I had to take some junk to the tip, the rattle stopped. Put them back up and the rattle returns!!!! Does anyone have a simple cure for this, other than rapping some bits of rag around the stay bars that the seat clips to?

Hope your rattle is loud and constant, as my experience is that when I tell VW about a rattle (I have intermittent rattles/buzzing from doors and dash), they always say that the engineeer couldn't hear it. Sod's law that the intermittent nature of it means it doesn't happen whenever they have the car...then happens straight away when I get it back! Either that or they just can't be ars*d to listen properly

This has happened to me twice now. They say I will have to take the car out with a technician, but it's a right pain having to take it in just for that, especially when most of the time I can put up with it i.e. would tend to have the radio/CD on and that masks it pretty well

I just wish I didn't have these interior fit issues: I don't have a previous VW to compare it too but everything I read and hear says VW have cut corners for the MkV. I think the VW view was that the MkIV interior was over-engineered and customers wouldn't notice a slight drop off in quality. All I can say is it's a slippery slope. Just ask Mercedes

Don't get me wong, it's a great car a dn I love it, but this is the one area that has taken the edge off the experience

Apologies for barging in on this thread, but I also have a rattle around the rear seats, and I am 99% certain it's one of the seat belt reels.

Would VW change that under warranty or is it wear and tear?

The rear seats have only been used about 5 times.

• 3 weeks later...

I've pin pointed it exactly - it's the left hand rear back rest cushion. It's rattling/creaking on it's catch hook. Bit of rag rapped round it and slam it shut. Works a treat!!

Going to apply for a techi job at my local VW dealer so they can charge £100 an hour for labour and £200 for the rag!!

Now the 'effin top centre air mesh thingy is creaking..... smashfreakB.gif

This forum is brilliant - I too have recently been having some rattles from the rear seats. I thought it might have been the seatbelt spooler but after seeing this thread I thought I'd take a look at the clips that release the seats to fold down. Now the problem seems to be solved. For the record, a folded up (clean) old hankerchief does the trick as well!

I'm still learning so much from reading this forum. I only wish I was able to contribute more myself. However, being very non-technical and also very new to VW ownership, I often feel very underqualified!