'Spare' Key

lmmlmmam

FYI The 'normal' key is usually referred to as the valet key - Its what you give to the workshop when its serviced / washed as it will open doors and run the engine but shouldn't open the boot or glovebox thus protecting privacy....

The small plastic 'wallet' key is designed for carrying in your wallet. It can only open the doors as there is no immobiliser, or electrics, as and has been mentioned, ideal for storing everything in the car and locking the door up. I've not yet met anyone who actually keeps the wallet key on them, me included!

It was most entertaining watchng my mate get rescued by Audi assistance after he locked his keys in his A4.(they prised the top of the door open using air bags...) Even more entertaining when the penny dropped as to what the 'silly plastic key' was for...

Anyway, point is I know you get them on A4's, and A8's, presumably then on A6's too, but I can see how they might not do them for A3's. I'm sure if you can source a blank though it could be cut.

Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like I'm going to need a chat to the dealer.

Funnily I'd wondered whether you could drive with the spare key. The manual seems to imply you can but it doesn't seem to have a transponder in it for the imobiliser so I can't see how you can. Only one way to find out for sure ECLIPSe.gif

going on from this we have recently had a new 'blade' cut as the old one snapped .

So - we have still got the immobiliser part and remote , they are still the original parts.

When taking the key apart to replace the piece with the new blade fixed, i dislodged the battery.

The remote locking works ok.

When you start up the car, it runs for two seconds and stops ( the immobiliser I presume and something to do with the 'power' cut when I dropped the battery out of it?)

Hmm.. Good question, and I'm longing for a solid answer!

My understanding of the immobiliser technology is that each and every key has a totally unique identity, hard coded.

To enable the key to work in the cars imobiliser, you have to log on using vagcom etc and code the immobiliser into the keys id. You don't change anything in the key, thus I would have expected a battery outage on the key not to cause a problem....

If in fact it does, my whole understanding of VAG immobilisers is shot, and I need someone who knows to fill me in ;-)

The cental locking bit is totally seperate, and I'm not fussed about it as its a piece of cake to code in. Immobilisers need 4 digit pins or 7 digits SKC's and it all get complicated....

I'm half knowledgeable and yet still curious as I have a spare key for my S8, right serial number, etc, I have the login code for the immobiliser, yet I don't seem to be able to register it with the car, which also makes me doubt my understanding... !

The engine running for a second or so and cutting out is exactly what happens when the immobiliser decides that the key used isn't authorised...

I bow down to anyone who can correct me on my findings above .. ;-)

umm confused.gif

and yet except for the loss of voltage for 30 seconds everything else is as from the factory - except a new metal key blade confused.gif

I'll have a play with it over the weekend but may have to enlist PeterB's help ! 169144-ok.gif

At least I have the code tag !!

I'll come back with any answers - or possibly more questions.......

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

umm confused.gif

and yet except for the loss of voltage for 30 seconds everything else is as from the factory - except a new metal key blade confused.gif

I'll have a play with it over the weekend but may have to enlist PeterB's help ! 169144-ok.gif

At least I have the code tag !!

I'll come back with any answers - or possibly more questions.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris

You got your key working yet??

Mark

correct, it works like a mac address on ur pc, that is unique to that chip ,in this case in the key. the ecu holds a list of the "id's" or macs that can open, close and start the car successfully. thats how you can disable a lost key without needing 2 new keys, you simply delete that id from the car (desyncronise).

VAS5051/5052 is what audi use to "syncronise" keys to cars so only the syncronised keys can open the car!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris

You got your key working yet??

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

NO !!

been away for a week , in the B6.

It will need a dealer to do this, may use Aston Green in Slough as they have always serviced the car, although Camberley Audi (Whites) have been supplying the last7 cars, I'll see who wants the least money.

Nelson - thanks for the supply - the transponder is in the metal blade end of the key not the remote button end !!

I performed surgery on the old bit with a view to getting into it and transferring the transponder..... gave up after a good half an hour ( with usual hand tools) --- these keys are tough little beggars frown.gif

One of my keys refuses to unlock the doors remotly however once in the car it will start without any problems. I tried the reset as described in the manual but this failled to resolve the problem. Took the car to the dealers they tried and failled to solve the problem have now got me booked in on 7th oct for new key programming which they say will take about an hour, all FOC of course ;-)