[Audi A3/S3] A3 Questions

MunsterGTI

Hi All,

I have been lurking on here for a while. I am picking up a 6 month old A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-line next week and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to retrofit the GSM Phone prep? I asked the Audi Dealership and they said no! Is this right

2. How difficult is it to install the ipod connection?

3. How can you tell if it has xenon lights from a picture?

I will let you know when I pick it up

Thanks

JP

hi heres some answers for ya:

1) It is not possible to retrofit the GSM phone prep as its integrated into the vehicles wiring loom and key components. i've got a nokia CK7W in my A3 and its all nicely hidden away with just the rotational remote control next to the climate control!

2) iPod connection is dead easy to fit, it links in as a cd changer - 3 wires into the blanks on the ISO on the back of the radio.

3) Xenon lights typically have a magnifyed lens, light up blue, have a slight delay when they start up ie flash, and come with high pressure headlamp washers (legal requirement)

hope that helps (post a pic of car on here if unsure)

looks like it mate, its got the headlamp washers, and the magnifying lens.

audi did make what they call projector headlights for the A3 which was a halogen behind a projector lens but these typically didnt come with headlamp washers.

only way to be totally sure, look on top of the headlamp you should see a sticker with an electronic flash inside a yellow triangle, thats signifying the high voltage the xenons have, only xenons are marked with this, but the proof of the pudding as they say is to wait until its dark and either pull up behind a white car or walk 20-30 meters away from the car and see if they shine blue on the lens or back of the white car respectively, if the do they are xenons!

Nice Car BTW Mate!!!

[ QUOTE ]

1) It is not possible to retrofit the GSM phone prep as its integrated into the vehicles wiring loom and key components. i've got a nokia CK7W in my A3 and its all nicely hidden away with just the rotational remote control next to the climate control!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is possible to fit the GSM phone prep on the A3, I’ve just had it done on my A4 by Craigyb. Would have liked to do it myself but could not get hold of the parts frown.gif

Answers not on a postcard

1. Is it possible to retrofit the GSM Phone prep? I asked the Audi Dealership and they said no! Is this right

It is possible to retrofit the genuine kit, but unless you have the RNS-E DVD nav or MF steering wheel or a cradle you cannot control the phone kit.

2. How difficult is it to install the ipod connection?

Easy, 10 wires (not 3) into the back of the HU connector

3. How can you tell if it has xenon lights from a picture?

Already been answered

Thanks Kite 169144-ok.gif , right just been onto them. the spec is as follows.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line Special Edition

Rain and Light Sensor Pack

Xenon Plus

Symphony

Bose

Rear Floor mats

Front Armrest

Rear Acoustic Parking

Non Smoking Pack

Jesus, I cant wait to collect it!!! jump.gif

I went from an a4 1.8t s-line 190bhp to a golf mk 4 gt tdi 150bhp and i have to admit i prefer the petrol, even though the torque in the golf is addictive

Will post once I have got it

Cheers

John