mini cooper s vs s3!!

I have an S3 and this summer I have been driving a mini cooper S.

The S3 is noticably faster - especially up hills, but the cooper S is suprisingly fast. The cooper s definatly has the thrill factor, it handles very very well, and has a great engine note. You feel connected to the road and able to explore the car. The gearbox is nice, like the S3's.

I've never been on a motorway in the cooper S, so I can't talk about it's performance over 80, but on twisty lanes you will need a really quick car to keep up with a cooper S - it inspires confidence & feels smaller than an S3. On long smooth A roads, the S3 would be faster however.

Don't buy the cooper S if you need a 4 seater car, because it isn't - it's a 2+2, which is fine, but it is a lot less spacious than the S3.

All in all, I prefer the S3 for living is Scotland (rain + 4wd is good) and it's better in terms of space 7 quality, but the mini is a great car - so take a test drive!!

Re. fuel consumption, the mini is worse than the S3.

If it helps, I had to sell my TQ and feared that I'd never find a car that I loved as much as that "little" A3 (Esp. after getting it up to 220bhp FIREdevil.gif) I test drove the Sportback in 1.6 and 2.0FSI trim and it was IMO a boring drive. I then test drove the M90 330i and 325i and while they drove VERY well, they weren't much fun and the seating position threw me off for some reason (Felt too high) Then, since I was at the BMW dealer, I took a shot at the Cooper S.... and bought one 169144-ok.gif Where my TQ was "Fast", the MCS is quick. It doesn't have the top end that the TQ had, and at Autobahn speeds got about the same mileage as the TQ. But on the back roads it is simply a FUN car ECLIPSe.gif It won't win any drag races, but it definately puts just as much of a grin on my face as the TQ ever could (If that makes any sense suicide.gif)

Hope my 2 cents helps a bit jump.gif

beerchug.gif

I've owned both cars and althought the mini is great fun on small roads and in town. On the motorway it feels like a small car going fast although safe, the S3 is the way ahead great on small roads and even better on motorway. The mini is far from a 2 + 2 unless you have 2 kids with you that do not require prams, the boot can not fit a briefcase if you use such a item. Sum up - Mini great car for fun - S3 great for everything.

Can't comment on the S3 but I had an A3 1.8T sport which I changed for a Cooper S, only had it nine months before going back to an A3 2.0T FSI DSG. Cooper S was fun for back lanes etc, but not recommended for day to day driving or motorways. Changed again now to spec below.

ncr666