2 clay or not 2 clay

GARTHY

I'm slowly getting more into detailing. I have a 2 1/2 yr old lava grey A3 which I've paint cleansed yearly and zymoled every 2/3 months. Will claying make a big difference? Any tips/ guides for claying appreciated - do I wash again after claying or will a microfibre wipe down be sufficient before waxing?

only discovered claying after reading this forum - it's great !

Keep the surface nice and wet when you're using the clay though - otherwise you can get lots of scratches that then need sorting out.

To see the benefit try a lower bumper section - get the technique right on that then move onto the rest of the car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Keep the surface nice and wet when you're using the clay though - otherwise you can get lots of scratches that then need sorting out.

To see the benefit try a lower bumper section - get the technique right on that then move onto the rest of the car 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I've not clayed mine, I'm worried about swirls. The car doesn't have any and I want to keep it that way!

I think I'll stick to my Zymol HD Cleanse and Carbon.........

BUB 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But think how much better it would be after a claying the_finger.gif

I found the following really useful in understanding why - linky

And the results speak for themselfs - the surface is left so smooth, the cleaner, polish and wax go on 100% better.

wast of time i found.i think if you already keep your car polished using high quality products such as swissol.meguiars or zymol you wont see much difference.if your car hardly ever gets a wash you live in the city with your car parked under a tree full of pigeons then you will

I've always found it very effective on just about all cars. Obviously well maintained cars won't have the same levels of contamination, but for 90% of cas it makes a big difference.

As for swirls it won't induce these as you rub the clay in straight strokes. It's washing and drying that primarally causes swirling.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But think how much better it would be after a claying the_finger.gif

I found the following really useful in understanding why - linky

And the results speak for themselfs - the surface is left so smooth, the cleaner, polish and wax go on 100% better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link John. 169144-ok.gif

I actually have two of those Clay Magic kits which I bought in the US’ last year!! laugh.gif I just haven’t felt the need to use them (nor had the courage). frown.gif

The link was very helpful and I might just do a door or wing now and see how it goes. The thing is the paint on my car is smooth as I cleanse it 3 or 4 times a year.

I’ll post my results.

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Give it a bash. I was nervous at first when I used a clay bar on my nice black paintwork but just remember to use lots of detail spray and be gentle - you will be so impressed you'll wonder how you managed without it. Well maybe not, but you get the idea!

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Bub

Will be interested to hear how you get on 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will let you chaps know how it goes................. UHOH7.GIF

BUB SAUER0421.GIF

• 2 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Give it a bash. I was nervous at first when I used a clay bar on my nice black paintwork but just remember to use lots of detail spray and be gentle - you will be so impressed you'll wonder how you managed without it. Well maybe not, but you get the idea!

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Bub

Will be interested to hear how you get on 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will let you chaps know how it goes................. UHOH7.GIF

BUB SAUER0421.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Right I've finally popped my cherry! UHOH7.GIF

I mean used some clay grin.gif

Bought the wife a '54 plate Modus a couple of weeks back so it was the guinea pig. I was surprised to see that clay can actually reduce minor swirling too. The car isn't 2yo yet and has only done 8k so the paint was pretty good. But the results were truly fantastc! I was impressed 169144-ok.gif

So I started the A4 today.......

Now as I said the car is swirl free and pretty much like new really. It didn't pick much cr*p up from the paint but it was still worth the effort. The most important thing to me was that even when you get a dry spot the clay won't affect the paint, something that I was worried about.

I HD cleansed it and put a couple of coats of Carbon on afterwards. The bonnet looks like it's still wet........... notworthy.gif

BUB 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

Look out JC! tongue.gif

An easy way of testing if your car needs claying is to do the following:

After washing and drying your car, place your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint's surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car's surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.

Hope this helps!

Alex 169144-ok.gif