3rd year extended warranty for import

anwd4041

Hello again.

I understand RAC do an extended warranty for £300 for a EU import GTI which comes with the standard two year. The level of cover is to reflect like for like standard VW main dealer 3rd year warranty cover.

Does anyone know of other policies and costs, say VW?

Today I shall get quotes etc. but any help will be much appreciated as usual.

I asked VW the cost of extending my warranty to a third year and the cost was just under £500. They said i could wait until my 2nd year was running out before committing to this so i'm going to wait and see. I know there are cheaper warranties through insurance-type schemes but i'm not convinced they offer the same cover but i intend to check nearer the time.

There was a long thread on this recently - and my feeling it that it depends on what you want and why you want it.

The "Warranty" will cover any item that becomes unservicable because of manufacturing defects - this will include faulty trim, seats etc as well as mechanicals. There are many providers of these and exclusions vary.

An alternative is VW's own Service and Maintainance contracts which will cover services as well as all mechanical failures and parts and labour necessary for the vehicle during the contract period.

Website here downloadable pdf file

There are limitations about when you can take this out, but in effect it gives the same major cost items within warranty cover but also includes services and recovery and you can buy a three year package towards the end of the first year (if you've done less than 10K) and have the equivalent of four years fixed cost motoring including any major mechanicals within 4 years from puchase.

As with any motor company VW will attempt to avoid claims on remapped or otherwise modified car if they believe that modification to have contributed to the failure of the faulty part - but this is the same for SMT or for Warranty

lol.gif I can't sell you any of these at all but I can advise that the VW product can be bought from any VW dealership yelrotflmao.gif

wink.gif Presumably Oli, if you "know a man who can" he must be with the AA rather than the RAC yelrotflmao.gifsekret.gif

note that with the VW warranty at least the costs do increase each year.

I managed to get a 4th year's warranty when I bought the .:R for a much lower price than retail, the fact that the car was not discounted made me want to get at least something out of the dealer.

I think they increase the price by 30-50 quid each year so I figured it was worth doing at purchase time - as I always intended to keep the car for at least 4 years.

169144-ok.gif

The VW 3rd year warranty is not a VW warranty, they onsell it under the VW brand but it is actually underwritten by one of the big boys (forget which one, but its basically the same as a warrantydirect policy) but its £500 from VW or £300 from warrantydirect.

As far as the service plan goes, it seems like more of a cost spreader than a money saver to me.

CMC950 - it won't save any money at all, but if you take it out over 3 years at month 11, you will get your month 12, 24 and 36 services (or longlife equivalents) AND be covered for any and all mechanical failures until month 47.

Which for an import is the equivalent of 23 extra months mechanical failure warranty for little if any extra cost over servicing alone (on the SM or SMT contracts).

Whereas you'd pay warrantydirect or other provider nearly £600 for the same 23 months without service.

It is a choice, and whether it is worthwhile depends on your views on risk and whether you can fund additional unexpected costs or would prefer smoothness of cost

You pays you money and takes your choice 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the help people.

On balance of the information received / research, I think I may opt for the Warranty Direct cover. They do give 1st class customer service over the phone. I just need to receive the documents and check the small print.

With WD 'Gold' cover you have £5000 claim limit, specific use of VW franchised dealers for all warranty repairs and the extent of cover is substantially better than RAC on a cost of cover basis.

I'm sure VW cover gives complete peace of mind, but it is expensive.