Brake problem.

Lungbutter

I originally posted this in the technical forum, but I've not had much response.

My brakes (pretty sure it's the front ones) have started making a clunk when applied. This became more apparent when carrying a lot of weight in the car recently.

I dismantled the caliper, checked it over and re-assembled it but the problem is still there.

Now I know my discs are in need of replacement but could this cause the clunking noise?

The car is a 2000 A6 quattro.

Possibly the bushes on the bottom links or maybe just the normal problems with the ball joints on the suspension arms.

Try www.vagparts.co.uk and look for - Order number: SRK01

Our price: 330.38

The text from their web site - Front suspension kit

Using Genuine Audi parts ONLY, a full set of all 8 front suspension arms for both sides of the car, including all the nuts, bolts and washers needed to fit them. Also included in the kit are 2 steering tie rod ends and the anti roll bar C links (not shown) for both sides of the car. All in all a complete kit to replace creaking or worn out front suspension arms. Buying this kit represents a huge saving over buying each arm on its own. Please include your chassis number when ordering!

I would see what others here think as well.

Hmmm..I'm not convinced the suspension is the problem. Surely I would get some noises whether braking or not if the supension was worn?

As it is The car is fine and it is only when applying the brake (even lightly) I get the "THUNK" noise. It's as if the caliper is lose or something but I've tightened everything up.

That IS a good deal on the suspension kit though!