Passat PD130

tobyho

Hello Tyresmoke people, I'm considering a Passat TDI, preferably a 115 or 130 Bhp one. I've seen a "130" on a T reg, is this possible? Does anyone know when it was introduced? Also. if you've got one, what are they like and anything I should look out for..

Thanks a lot for any help,

Tobe

hello im not a expert but i think the 130 bhp engine came in on a 2001 when the shape changed there is also a 100bhp.

the 115bhp was available before the shape change in 2001 also there was a 110 bhp.so i think it depends wat you want pre 2001 or the facelift 2001 on?

i went for a 2002 estate 130bptdi and it was my first passat all i can say is im well chuffed its well smooth and comfy,and there is a good deal of power with good mpg.

i did not want to consider the 100bhp due to possible underpowering you may find more £££ for the 130bhp.

i went for the se it just gives you that bit more spec from a s and there is also a sport which gives you 6 speed box and lowered suspention and some alloy trim inside the cockpit,i did not fancy the sport due to possible hard ride being that i wanted a comfy family ride.

hope this helps.

Thanks,Gypsyboy, I suspected it was too early for a 130, reckon he's just confused by the red DI. Yeah, I'd love a later facelift one but can't really afford it and am hoping the 115 will do the trick, not sure if that generation is a PD engine.

Good advice, I'll look for an SE.

Thanks T

gypsyboy is correct. The 130bhp engine was introduced in the facelifted car, which starts from a 2001 'Y' plate. The 115bhp engine in the pre-facelifted car has pretty much the same torque as the 130, so the performance difference is fairly small (I've had both). I can't remember whether it was this way from the start, but I'm fairly sure the 130bhp engine in the SE had slightly less torque than in the Sport.

I'd also recommend that you stretch yourself to a 115 or a 130 over the 90 or 100 bhp engine.

The biggest problem is identifying them. I used to work with someone that had a 100bhp post-facelift Passat and it had the red 'D' and 'I' on the back and on the engine cover. VW changed this later on, with the 100bhp engine getting a plain badge and the 130 getting just a red 'I'. It's very confusing!

Sorry, too slow!

The red D and I on a pre-facelift model means that it will have the 130 bhp engine. However, the 115bhp PD engine didn't come out until around 1999/2000, so a T reg model will have either a 90 or 110 bhp engine. If it has a red 'I' then it's the 110 model.

My uncle had one and it's very economical, but isn't anywhere near as quick as a 115 (circa 50 lb ft torque less iirc)

Looking back through the threads I can see that I need to try and see the power output info in the engine bay and in the boot on a plate. Didn't realise red I's and DI's were such a minefield!

Martin was there much else different between pre and post facelifts in terms of interior, comfort, etc? If the torque is similar perhaps I can get a better buy with a high spec 115hp W reg against a standard spec 130hp Y reg for a few hundred quid less.

Cheers T

tobyho get yourself on parkers.co.uk or whatcar.com there you can compare spec is very usefull its what i used when i bought my passat.there is a slight more torque on the sport model (2001-2005)but no differance in mpg or speed(top end or 0-60)and as for red i or red di confusion its a pain your best bet is to do what i did and take the reg of the car you like and ring a vw dealer give them the reg and ask to confirm bhp which they will do.

also as far as im aware the interior between pre 2001 and after 2001 is not that great,so you might be sorted with a 2000 115bhp good spec which will be a cheaper option.

anyway do your research and see where your at?

let us know how you get on

Yes, the differences to the interior aren't that great at all. Basically, the area around the gearlever was changed and it gained chrome rings around the instruments. The climate control, stereo etc are the same.

It obviously looks a bit more modern on the outside, but as there isn't much difference I would go for a higher spec / lower mileage 115.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys, I'm going to stew on it over the weekend now. I was rushing into Ebay sales but I think there's a few good cars around so will try a drive a couple first. I have been checking specs on Parkers but it can make your head spin a bit and owner's advice is so useful. That tip on using VW is great.

Saw a friends Golf estate this evening which has a surprisingly good boot so will also consider a 6 spd one of them. It seems that the Golf estates actually go down in price unlike their Passat counterparts, perhaps because they're so blinkin' ugly, as if made from two different cars.

Anyway I think a fast W reg Passat is favourite at the mo.

Thanks again, T

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 SE TDI 130 5dr Diesel Estate

6-speed,X-reg,metalic green,air con,dark velour seats,4-airbags,ABS,PAS,ASR,e/w,e/m,remonte center locking,alarm,stereo-CD,alloys,good condition. £3,295

This is on Autotrader now. Real good bargains to be had in the Golf Estate market as no one wants 'em. Go to Autotrader, search for Volkswagen: Golf: (Min Price) £3000: (Trim) Estate: (Keywords) TDI: and see what comes up. Then change Golf for Passat and search again, and see the difference in price. 169144-ok.gif