hixster

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

calling MrkGTI .........

I've been in the APS car round Castle Combe, driven very tidily by Ed. The car feels very strong right the way up, just more of the same and very linear delivery. The KW V3 kit is almost mandatory with this upgrade IMHO.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Who's going to get this 1st then? Or has someone already? I'm well tempted..

[/ QUOTE ]

me too...

are they still having problems with the DSG + Miltek + Remap???

[/ QUOTE ]

I've emailed them asking exactly this question and regarding torque issues with DSG/Clutch.. i'll let you know what the answer is after the week end.

Also asked for costing on labour to restore back to original spec if/when I want to sell..

If I get the o.k for the DSG , i'd go for this package seems better value to get it all done in one fell swoop as opposed to piecemeal. grin.gif

The APS R300 car is a bit of a beast, saw it in action at castle combe, and Mark the driver of the black .:R who i co-piloted for grin.gif was talking to ED about this upgarde and i think he has it now, he sometimes pops onto TSN and when is spoke to him he may be attending a windsor meet so you may be able to get a spin in it Matt... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The APS R300 car is a bit of a beast, saw it in action at castle combe, and Mark the driver of the black .:R who i co-piloted for grin.gif was talking to ED about this upgarde and i think he has it now, he sometimes pops onto TSN and when is spoke to him he may be attending a windsor meet so you may be able to get a spin in it Matt... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Jimmy, I'll try and get over there next week then! Must see this beast

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers Jimmy, I'll try and get over there next week then! Must see this beast

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try and pop along again this month also... 169144-ok.gif

Marks car is just brilliant, and handles just superbly, there is a few pics of us under the castle combe thread in the meets forum too...

beerchug.gif

Anyone had the APS remap without the Milltek & is it worthwhile on its own? Milltek not an option for me 'cos I can't stand boominess or resonance. Love the sound of the oem if it was just a fraction louder on hard acceleration. It is nice and relaxing on a motorway run though

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone had the APS remap without the Milltek & is it worthwhile on its own? Milltek not an option for me 'cos I can't stand boominess or resonance. Love the sound of the oem if it was just a fraction louder on hard acceleration. It is nice and relaxing on a motorway run though

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only thing that concerns me, I love the sound of the oem exhaust, it's just perfect , i wouldn't want it any louder...just more power. FIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gif

I can completely understand those who are concerned about boominess, resonance etc - I hated the sound of the Milltek when it was first fitted. It improved drastically after 1k miles, then again after 3k, and is now virtually boom-free after 6k+ miles since fitting.

The remap without the exhaust is not worth it IMO - if you drove a remapped MkV against a Milltek'd MkV I would wager the Milltek'd one would feel smoother and might even beat it. What you'd be doing by remapping but no exhaust is giving the engine the chance to burn fuel & air more efficiently, without the option of expelling it more efficiently - so the stock exhaust will be working against the positive effects of the remap. Reckon you'd be lucky to see an extra 10 bhp with the remap alone.

After my initial noise fears with the cat-back I have to say it's one of the best mods for these cars - this is a strong V6 engine and IMO needs a suitable exhaust to really set it free.

Milltek manifold and sports-cats are on their way for me shortly - will report back FIREdevil.gif

beerchug.gif

I'm wondering if the resonance will be still there in the full system , be interesting to see,

Also when i had the csl will a full system including cats it did resonate painfully at what equated to 70 mph , i tried it with a unslienced center section and cats and there was minimal change in performance and no resonance!

I wonder how a manifold /cats / uncilences centre coupled with a stock back box would performe ?

Keith

I will try to get APS to write some info down for the APS300 package - Ed is very good at describing these things and I'm sure he has some fairly straight views on the mix 'n match approach to exhaust bits, remaps etc. I would be surprised if the standard back-box could work well with uprated bits feeding the gases to it.

AFAIK the Milltek manifold and sports-cats removes the rasping sound emitted by the current manifold breather - the upgrade may well make the car sound more serious.

Judging by the sound of the Ray West car at Castle Combe recently I would say it does add a new dimension to the engine note. No idea on the difference in resonance (yet).

Personally I'm looking for the car to have a bit more presence at tickover etc - this is a 3.2 lump after all. However there is IMO still a fine line between a serious exhaust note and a downright outrageous one - and tuning companies are getting better at making their products neighbour/passenger-friendly.

beerchug.gif

APS figures seem to suggest only a meagre performance enhancement with the Milltek back cat, certainly not worth the pain IMHO. I am curious as to whether a full Milltek system would resolve the problems I had - Milltek weren't able to fit one when I visited or I'd have tried it.

Vagtech's answer is leave the OEM rear boxt in place and plumb around it, using the flapper system to divert the gases around the box 3K revs. Not sure they can do that with the central Mk5 pipes though.

yes that's right but the remap-only is an optimistic figure - and only tested on MkV engines with low mileages.

the milltek felt like it changed the car far more than the remap afterwards - figures don't really mean a lot to me if there's no perception of a decent difference.

I rolling-roaded mine at 6k miles after the Milltek was fitted - it gave 252 bhp. Reckon it may have hit 260 had I left it without the remap and retested now after 5k more miles. I don't particularly feel the need to test exactly how much the remap/milltek combination puts out - I just know it feels and drives far better than when stock.

mileage really counts on these engines - and getting accurate figures at less than 10k miles can't really be that easy between different cars run-in by different owners.

169144-ok.gif

Obviously the combination of a re-map and a Milltek will result in an increase (relatively small with a non turbo'd engine) in bhp, BUT, as rs32 says, it's all about how a car feels and drives rather than the numbers. An exhaust such as a Milltek will be more efficient in 'extracting' the gases and so help the engine. Obviously I know more about the effects on the 2.0T FSI engine than on the 3.2 V6, but I think that the same principles apply.

I tried speaking to Miltek about the resonance with dsg to see what their thoughts were about runing the cat's with manifold and stock back box , I explained i had miltek before on two other cars , M5 and csl , was promised a call back a week later and no call back a week later not impressed.

When we discuss exhausts we all talk about miltek as the only solution, are they ! what else is out there on the market?

Keithp - Try emailing from their web site. I usually get a response even if only after 3 or 4 days. I can't speak on their behalf but I'm pretty confident you'll find that you can't mix 'n match their exhaust components with stock OEM (if that's what you mean).

Milltek are so popular cos they are so good (though there have been development issues re DSG+Remap+Milltek on Mk5 R32) - Performance exhausts without that boy-racer baked-bean tin sound.

Blueflame are also on some TSNer's cars I think. Check out the TSN Tuning forum perhaps.