Untaxed Cars

SamD

I was talking to a friend of mine who is an officer up here, and he was saying that the ANPR cameras pick up so many cars that the traffic guys don't even pull them all over because if they pulled every car showing up as suspicious on ANPR, they wouldn't spend any time on patrol. It's scary to think how many untaxed and uninsured cars there are out there. Well done guys for shopping these people. I'm going to take up this challenge too.

the night of the world cup final i flew back from italy late and didnt get into leeds until about 2am then drove my friend home in my sisters car. Within minutes of setting off i was followed by a fully marked up car that pulled out of a junction behind me... they sat behind me for about 1.5 miles then finally pulled me. Turns out their ANPR flagged the car as no insurance (expired recently) so they pulled me - maybe hoping for a DD stop but got a smelly traveller in boardshorts and an inside out t-shirt. I had 1/2 my license (dont ask - old paper one) and my passport. They let me provide insurance next day and were pretty good about it.

They did mention they could impound the car on the spot but said they felt i seemed genuine enough. I asked if they could make the call to my mum to wake her up and get her to collect me for the second time at stupid o'clock that night!!

[ QUOTE ]

lol.gif if only!

[/ QUOTE ]

but maybe that's what is needed.

I think I'm going to join this new activity.

Now if we could also get the 'phone clamped to their ears with one hand and changing gear with the other whilst negotiating a corner/junction' brigade.......... smile.gif

I suppose I need a camera phone to help out as well

I usually go one step further...

Shop 'em to the DVLA and also put a dumped vehicle call in to the local authority.

Did this to a car that was being used and parked in my gran's street as she was scared to ring up about it. 2 days later it was dragged onto a transporter and away.

The one I really enjoyed was a neighbour - didn't know it was his car at the time. Was parked outside our house for weeks, with no tax. Now it has tax and is never parked near our house!

[ QUOTE ]

The likelihood that an untaxed/incorrectly taxed vehicle is uninsured is high and that means that if they hit your car or god forbid a member of your family they almost certainly won't be able to pay for the damage/medical bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just high - it's certain.

If a vehicle isn't licensed (taxed) - it's not insured.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The likelihood that an untaxed/incorrectly taxed vehicle is uninsured is high and that means that if they hit your car or god forbid a member of your family they almost certainly won't be able to pay for the damage/medical bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just high - it's certain.

If a vehicle isn't licensed (taxed) - it's not insured.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is necessarily true. A few years ago a guy drove into the back of my TT while at a junction. In the ensuing mess, and once we'd pulled over, I noticed that his tax disc was about a year out of date.

I was sure that this would invalidate any insurance he might have, so asked the police about it at the time - I was told that this was not the case.

What's your source MrMe?

Well I've just looked this up - and it would appear I'm wrong,

Hermes is right, it doesn't necessarily invalidate your insurance policy. It seems to depend on policies but there is a more interesting note in relation to this....

...as you are required to produce evidence of insurance in order to tax a car in the first place, it is 'estimated' that 80% of untaxed cars are uninsured too. You could of course have valid tax and insurance, and then let the tax lapse but pay the insurance...but how many people would fork out hundreds and hundreds when they can't be arsed to tax a car for less?

Yip, you can indeed insure an untaxed car, but as Chris says, it's highly likely that if someone hasn't taxed it, then it wont be insured. Especially with the automatic letters etc issued nowadays. If you live on a council estate, and your car isn't taxed, then the council will have it towed immediately, apparently.

[ QUOTE ]

I was talking to a friend of mine who is an officer up here, and he was saying that the ANPR cameras pick up so many cars that the traffic guys don't even pull them all over because if they pulled every car showing up as suspicious on ANPR, they wouldn't spend any time on patrol. It's scary to think how many untaxed and uninsured cars there are out there. Well done guys for shopping these people. I'm going to take up this challenge too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just Traffic with ANPR now though, we have just taken delivery of one at my station now ECLIPSe.gif

KInda off topic a bit, but my business partner and i went past Hertfordshire police HQ every morning for 8 months with a the car insured wrong.

The last letter of the number plate was incorrect. Only when i was reviewing the details did i notice and call in to the insurance firm to chase it.

We would drive there and back with many police cars behind and infront on a daily basis and never got stopped. I would have thought one time atleast a camera would have got us.

did a quick google on the Trafford Centre bit and found this: [ QUOTE ]

The system has the capacity to check thousands of vehicles and during its first trial weekend over 77,000 vehicles were scanned. Of this total, the system identified almost 600 vehicles wanted in connection with minor traffic offences and theft, 10 of which were wanted for more serious crimes including shoplifting, fraud and car theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Full article here

and a case study here with an example: [ QUOTE ]

A person wanted by the serious crime squad in West Yorkshire visited the Trafford Centre driving a £50,000 stolen BMW and in possession of multiple driving licenses and credit cards in different names. Currently awaiting Crown Court Sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive!