Your thought's on the 'cheapo' Vag-Com cables?

Atomic

What's your take on these things? Are they considered a No-No by members of this forum or do you guys use em?

I cant really justify the cost of a Ross-Tech cable and from what I can tell having an older car I dont need some of the newer funcationality anyway.

I'd just like to be able to read and reset fault codes and <u>maybe</u> set the occational setting... One that comes to mind is the sports mode for my A8's gearbox.

Am I going down a dark and dirty road or are they worth a punt?

Thanks,

AG>

I bought one at £15 delivered & it was worth a punt at that price.

Used it with shareware & had no problems in use.

Seeing, as there were a few settings I wanted to play with that needed the ability to save adaptations I bought the Vag com licence for version 409 at £53 (this was worth it).

My thoughts were, if I buy a new Audi requiring ‘CAN’ I would use the upgrade program from Ross-Tech (they credit your licence fee against an official cable so I should only be £15 out of pocket).

Without the cheap cable I would not have taken the plunge in the first place, I have now bought the licence and if I bought a newer Audi I would upgrade to an official cable. I am not sure what my next car is going to be hence the reason I did not future proof & buy the CAN enabled Ross tech in the first place (maybe false economy as I like my Audi a lot & will probably replace with another).

At £15 it was not much of a gamble even if I threw it in the bin & bought a genuine one the next day. It has worked flawlessly for just £68 including licence so I am happy, but beware there are some cr@p cables sold on eBay.

I bought mine from Alpha-bid

[ QUOTE ]

The official CAN bus cables from ross-tech are more like $349+shipping, so you'd be a lot more out of pocket than £15 timps.

[/ QUOTE ]

But only £15 out of pocket instead of buying the official one in the first place is what i meant, so it was worth the risk off eBay. I assumed I might need the genuine one at a later date because everyone kept telling me eBay cables don’t work with the newer can-bus cars so I just accepted they were correct.

Shark does it act as a dongle or do you still have to buy the Vag-com licence to get full functionality & what version can it use?