Oil top up?

pingpongpo

Hi guys, my oil top up light has literally just come on and I know i'm not that far away from a service (1 or 2 months)

My question is this, I have some mobil 1 oil in my garage, would it be ok to top up with that before servicing or should I fork out for the expensive stuff which will just get drained out when they service it.

It's a 52 PD tdi golf on variable servicing.

Cheers

Is a gallon of the proper stuff a lot cheaper to purchase pro rata compared to 1 litre?

The other worrying thing is that it needs topping up again since the last service!! I normally use 1 litre of oil between services (17-18K miles) but the check oil level light has come on again. Should I be worried it has used more oil and my driving style/journey has not changed?

I bought 4 litres of Fuchs Titan GT1 5w-30 VW504.00/507.00 oil from Opieoils a while ago, and it was round about £30 delivered. It'll last me ages and I need never worry about having to top up with crap stuff. At the moment though there's no special offer on the stuff, so it's about £38 delivered. Still good value imo. Oh, and there's discounted rates for TSN if you contact Oilman on the forum here. The price I quote is the discounted rate. Normal price is £43.

Not too sure why your oil useage has increased. It could be that the extreme warm weather has had some impact on it? Dunno really. confused.gif

Just topped up the old girl with some Castrol SLX III stuff, although I noticed that the grade has changed from when I last topped her up.

The last stuff I used was SLX II which was 0-30 but this stuff is 5-30, does this mean it isn't as thin at colder temperatures? More wear from cold?

So you are saying I can basically use anything 5-30W grade as long as it is a half decent brand?

[ QUOTE ]

So you are saying I can basically use anything 5-30W grade as long as it is a half decent brand?

[/ QUOTE ]

New VW spec for longlife service pd engine is VW 507.00 5w 30 weight. Replaces the 506.01 0w 30 stuff. Castrol SLX III is VW 507.00 5w 30. and that's the specification you need. 169144-ok.gif