Volvo C30 review

silentandy

Today I had the chance to get behind the wheel of the new C30 before it’s even hit the showrooms due to an event Volvo put on in Birmingham.

This car caused a stir when pictures were first released and upon seeing it in the flesh you aren’t disappointed. The Sport version looks stunning, I loved the styling, it’s mean and aggressive but not over the top. Just how a hot hatch should look in my opinion, much better than say the new S3 or dare I suggest even my beloved GTI. The 18” wheels on the Sport have a anthracite inserts like on the GTI and look fantastic.

The car I drove was an SE manual with the T5 engine. The exterior styling on this was much more understated than the Sport and in fact quite bland. This one was in a particularly horrid aquamarine colour – one to avoid! The plastic trim on this one wasn’t colour coded; you can actually have this painted the same colour as the main body or one of your own choice (take note VW!).

The interior is I think pretty much the same as the S40/V50. It’s a fairly place to sit with the fancy ‘floating’ centre console. For me it is a bit too IKEA looking but a nice place none the less. The quality felt and looked good and there was plenty of space in the front, only 2 seats in the back though.

So a brief overview of the control and an adjustment of the electric seats and we were off. Well kind of! It seemed everyone in Birmingham had decided they didn’t really want us to get a proper drive of this car as we ended up sat in traffic for 15 minutes before I could even get out of 1st gear. This did however give us a chance to play with all the toys. I like the centre console controls for the radio, air con and built in phone. I didn’t however get on with the sat nav and its remote control.

Once I finally got out of the traffic I was more than impressed by the 2.5l engine and the noise it makes. I can see why those that have driven the Focus ST rave about the noise, it’s fantastic! Top end it seems to get a bit breathless where I would have been pushing on in the GTI, but this might have been down to only having done just over a 1000 miles. It felt very strong though, and in this trim could make this a very good stealth car.

In SE spec I think you get softer suspension and it really showed. I wasn’t really inspired on cornering and couldn’t feel much feedback. It does feel like the chassis has potential though and I’m sure that the Sport would be much better in this respect. The brakes initially felt poor, I didn’t think I was going to stop at first as there was no feel to them compared to the sharpness of the GTIs. Again I’m sure this is better, I hope, in the Sport and I soon got used to them and proved to be effective.

So overall I liked this car. My girlfriend on the other hand really did not get on with it. I would have liked to have driven the Sport version afterwards but I didn’t have time, we spent over an hour just to do 10 miles in this one!

If it were on looks alone then given the current choice of hot hatches my next purchase would be the C30 Sport. However as an overall package it’s not yet something that would tempt me out of my GTI. It’s also quite expensive when specced up. The T5 SE I dove had a list of £21,495 before any options. I don’t know how much the other models were as we weren’t any price lists available to take away yet.

If they bring out an R version then I’ll definitely be interested.

I took a few pics but they turned out a bit rubbish due to the bad light in the underground carpark and shopping centre.

1008577-IMG_1831.jpg

1008577-IMG_1833.jpg

1008577-IMG_1834.jpg

1008577-IMG_1835.jpg

post-8016-137914383685_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Feck me, that red one looks ace, apart from the fact it looks like its on stilts. Some lowering springs and that would be smlove2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF Red C30 looks good enough to eat!

Had a Volvo 480 for 5 years but got bored waiting for the C30 to come on line.

Disapointed to hear that the T5 version won't come with AWD - won't be trading in the S3 just yet.

Fingers crossed for a C30R then - now that would be temptation.

Liking the tailgate and 2+2 seating - getting all nostalgic now.

I like the C30 T5 its different, Its not the bland euro box look EVERY other make is making.

I can completely understand why they have not made it as hardcore in the handling as the Focus ST at the end of the day thats what the Ford version is for in there brand lineup.

This is a more prestige motor with a bit of pace and interior quality is how i look at it. It's not a GTI hot hatch in my mind its more prestige and grownup.

Our lass loves the looks as i do (i also grin.gif everytime i drive a car with a 5pot due to its worble grin.gif) and if it had a more practical boot and rear parcel shelf setup i know this would have been our second car without a second thought.

Very good review, Andy 169144-ok.gif - Answers all the questions I would have.

Much better quality product than the Ford but personally only 2 doors (3) and limited load capacity kills it for me. Plus the brakes sound as if they feel terrible! I'm not sure about the rear either - I'd need to see one for real.

Also, no DSG !! frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also, no DSG !! frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Volvo are known for there protection but im sure your doctor will give you cream to clear yours up.

The complete Glass hatch does have me a little worried.

All credit too them though the car has good visability unlike all newer cars today. I would rather be able to see were im going to avoid an accident than have loads of crumple metal and airbags etc for after i hit something i did not see. Its the main thing i really miss when going from cars from 15+ years ago to modern cars.

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest I think it looks awfull smashfreakB.gif Maybe it will grow on me 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with this comment.

The Volvo really is an ugly bugger. Flush.gif

Horrible side profile, heinous from the rear and hideous rear light cluster.

Furthermore, the suspension looks ridiculously high and the wheels are plain awful.

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif great review but am I the only person who thinks the rear end looks like an AMC Pacer? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn!! At long last - thank you! It's been bugging me for ages what the rear reminds me of 169144-ok.gif

When I first saw pictures of the C30 I thought it looked amazing until you see the shots of the rear. OMG EEK2.GIF it's nasty!