[Audi A3/S3] My S3 roadtest

bartislartfast

You don't really need a new car. That's what was going through my mind as I was going to the test drive appointment, in fact I was on the verge of cancelling.

Too late, I'm there! And the S3 is outside pride of place waiting for me. The car itself is very understated in looks, but I'm not going to harp on about that as car looks & appeal is a very subjective thing.

BTW: dealer banter, get key, dealer banter, leave showroom. unlock, put key in, clutch down, start. Pull-away.

Pulling away the clutch is very smooth with a very easy *and light* travel. Much more smooth that my A4 special-ed. Turn out of garage, foot down and BAM a really smooth torquey punch, next gear and the next and the next the same. Wow. The chassis is stiff and puts the power down nicely, very nicely. The car feels light and responsive - no hint of turbo lag, or none that I could descern anyway.

Anyway, 10mins later handing the keys back to the dealer the lure of the S3 fix made me involuntary ask about delivery schedules, cost and options. This involuntary thought also forced me to ask when stock cars would be coming in so I could possibly beat the queues. Feck this is how addicts behave. Dealer talk of £30k for a reasonable spec brought me back to reality. £30k for an A3? I don't think so. My heart sank. Oh well, stick with the golf diesel for now then.

Ps on the demo average fuel consumption over 1600 miles was 20.1mpg.

B

there are many, many quotes and posts on here with respect to the S3, and the performance. I took our demo home for the first time last night, and gave it a "good run". I don't care how many people post to disagree with me, that car is AMAZING! The turn of speed, composure, boost from the turbo, ease of drive, handling, understated looks makes it a sure winner. Somebody mentioned that they'd seen it at 140mph pretty easily. Now I don't condone those actions of course, but I would have to agree.. The first car in a long time, that i would feel comfortable living with, every day. Remarkably easy to drive, and REAL fast. the top end is fantastic. There is definately lag from the turbo- but i actually like that.... when it kicks in.......oh mommy!!!!!!!!!!