Oh dear..............new gearbox required

Oli

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I have my car back and all is good, did about 50 miles last night and the gearbox perfroms so much better than before.

VW UK are refunding me for the taxi fares I had to pay for due to EUROPCAR, not delivering my hire car on time, and as a goodwill gesture have given me a £500 leisure voucher, which I can trade in for driving days, theathre breaks, spa breaks etc - Very pleased with this.

Thumbs up for my local dealer - Peter Cooper in Chichester and VW UK, but a big thumbs down to EUROPCAR, who are absolute crap.1

Had the S3 for just over a day now and am just about to post a review, so keep an eye out for it in the relevent section, with a comparission to my R32.

I think I have Jimmy P's new car.

After my new gearbox the steering rack is groaning like hell, and there is a slight click when pulling away and slowing to a stop - back to the dealer to see what they say - new rack no doubt, and tighten the nut that they left loose!!! Trouble is I love this car, I have just trid the S3 and it doesn't compare..........................................................................................................................................bring on the.................................................................................R36

UPDATE

I took my car back to the dealer today and it needs a new steering rack, which is causing both the groaning and the clicking noise that I previousy mentioned, which will now be fitted in the new year. I got them to look at two other faults as well; the NS seatbelt height adjuster doesn't work (In the B pillar) and the ski hatch(behind the rear centre armrest) doesn't lock back - new parts have been ordered for both of these and will be fitted at the same time as the rack.

At least I had a Volkswagen courtesy car and not a bloody SKODA!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Right all sorted, new steering rack fitted today and an OSF drop link that was causing the clicking noise. I have covered about 30 miles tonight and she feels tight as a snare drum again, with no noises.

I have about 350-400 miles to cover tomorrow, so will have a good drive to test it, and then an 800 mile round trip to Holland next week.

Its good to have my car all back to A1 again 169144-ok.gifECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have about 350-400 miles to cover tomorrow, so will have a good drive to test it, and then an 800 mile round trip to Holland next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it's back together and working as it should. Nice to hear you put it to good use too EEK2.GIF

Ok, Ive covered 390 miles today in my .:R, and it is going better than ever. I have averaged 26 MPG, which isnt bad considereing for half of the day their were at least 3 people in the car, and I have a fairly heavy right foot, cruising about 85-90MPH on the motorway.

My day all ended coming down the back roads from the A3, through Haslemere and Midhurst(which is a fantastic road), at quick a pace following a motorbike.

I love my R32 after days like this smlove2.gif169144-ok.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Vokswagen UK phoned me about my car yesterday, to see how it was going? I informed them that all was well, in fact the car has never been going better.

I also hinted that my next 1st service is due in about 4000 miles, and how nice it would be if VW UK paid for it. She pointed out that they had already given me a £500 voucher for exhileration.co.uk, which my wife and I are going to use for lunch on the Orient Express (a once in a lifetime experience that I would never pay for out of my own money!). I said how much I appreciated this, but since I had been given the voucher my car has had a new steering rack and osf drop link. They agreed and hey presto...... 1st service free - nice one.

I must say , bar the 'not having a courtesy car for 24hrs', and then, them delivering a Skoda, VW UK and Peter Cooper in Chichester have been absolutely outstanding - 10/10 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk of gearboxes and now my box is playing up.

Changing between 2/3 and 3/4 under heavy acceleration there is a delay (no more than a second) and then she grabs the gear. This can lead to a lunch regurgitating lurch which isn't entirely pleasant. She's OK under anything other than foot to floor operation.

Anyone else had anything similar? (She was nice and warm so it isn't cold oil)

VW taking a look tomorrow.