Substitute for clay?

Milo

Is there a product (cleaner etc) that can do the job of the clay and remove surface contaminants?

It has to be relatively easy to use and not too expensive.

I can't see my Dad being keen on claying his car and was hoping there is a product that can do a similar job but it physically easier to do.

The car isn't bad - it's only 5 months old but was a dealer demo (they've only had it for a month) and so hasn't been particularly well looked after. Also being black it is looking a bit swirly thanks to dealer cleaning crazy.gif

The route I was going to go push him down was:

1. Clay (Quik Detailer kit)

2. Megs Stage 2

3. Megs Stage 3

Total cost £26 ish

If I can lose one of those steps (either 1. or 2.) and still get the same results and on budget, I'd very interested 169144-ok.gif

I'm not after show winning concourse results, just a decent finish that can make a 5 month old Golf Plus look new again 169144-ok.gif

Personally, I would clay as it is very worthwhile then use AG SRP instead of Step 2. There are also much better waxes than step 3, you can't go far wrong with collinite 476, especially at this time of year and especially if you don't fancy waxing it often. Your dad will probably appreciate the retro 50s style tin too !!!

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would clay as it is very worthwhile then use AG SRP instead of Step 2. There are also much better waxes than step 3, you can't go far wrong with collinite 476, especially at this time of year and especially if you don't fancy waxing it often. Your dad will probably appreciate the retro 50s style tin too !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, definitely worth claying to start with! 169144-ok.gif

You still need a dedicated paint cleaner so as other have suggested SRP wouldbe a good all in one choice.

Personally i would go for a setup with glazing oils something easy but effective like RMG then your no cleaning topper.

High quality paint cleaner contain Kanolin clay but nothing is as good as using it on its own in a dedicated fashion.

Would he better with the clay in something like a £15 polishing pal. This places the clay like a disc on pad similar to that of a PC but its for hand use.

As the car is black is i would go for something like:

Vanilla Moose to hide the swirls

RMG to get some awesome we depth

Finish it your wax choice. Personally Collinite 476 is really not the answer for black paint. Its just some buzz word that seems to be taking the UK by storm.

It wont give the crisp mirror reflections you will get with some like Megs #16

If you have something like P21S and you want to make it last longer then PolyCharge it.

Geoff

Hi BPsmith,

Polycharger is an experimental product you can get from Autopiastore. It is a polymer chemical that you add to waxes either paste or liquid.

Just melt your P21s in its container in a bowl of hot water and add a few drop of polyercharger. Take out of the hot water, clingfilm over the top and pop in the fridge to cool down. Take it out when its hard again and you will have P21s on steroids when you take it out (where longivity is concerned).

Alternativly tip P21s out and and cut a slice off the bottom and take out a larger slice of #16 and melt together is a sutible container, cool in fridge, then use!!

Polycharging works with liquids and paste and i think its about $5. Shipping: talk to autopia guys since like Autoglym it cant go by air so it takes a while but is cheaper.

If you just want to do the whole meltie thing then you can. Remeber natural paste waxes only!! P21s, #16, Souvean etc. Im sure if there were polymer enhanced ones you would have a fire or something!! The above melt at super low tempretures too.

Enjoy!!

Milo,

Based on my recent experience for low cost and ease of use the Duragloss products that have been spoken about on here quite a bit recently take some beating. Aparently very durable as well.

MUCH quicker to use than megs stage 1 & 2.

With my distinctly average skills the finish achieved was better than I'd achieved using megs 1 & 2 with P21S on top.

If you clay it for him & he get the duragloss straight on it shouldn't need claying again for quick a long time!

Hi

Autopia forum is the place to be polycharging as i the autopia store is acutally selling the stuff along with RDF (Red Dot Formula).

http://autopia.org/forum/polycharger/

I dont think it changes the look of waxes at all!! I am part of a Corbra club as in the old ones with not much comfort but lots of grunt and we did a drive across the USA where i tried polycharged S100 (P21s the same) and yeah, i washed the car off 2 or three times in the touchless washes and it was still there at the end!! USA touchless washes are notrious for being super chemical loaded.

So yeah it definatly last longer, seems feels really really slick too. Its bit like taking a nuba and getting the benefits of synthetics with out any loss of looks etc.

IMHO you might well find it looks different, everyones paint and prep is different.

Well worth a try if you dont mind waiting for delivery you only get 2oz.

As Cabmac said Duragloss is the way to go, get the bonding agent, the polish (sealant) and then get aquawax and he is sorted!!

Geoff

Bry D where do u sell?? Do u have a shop?? I thought only one place had it. PM me if u cant post it on here!!

Duragloss is good, strange how it is kinda old but bought back to be popular!!

I have enjoyed all there kit.

The Cobra is a love hate affair, it really is RAW. Huge back wheels, this is my second one. The lack of comfort is the real killer and the noise. Its fun to hit 80 MPH but when your bouncing around, your head is over the windscreen at times it can all be a bit to much. Its the kinda car you can go out in really excited and fun, and then wish that someone else would pick you up in a more normal car.

Milo, im sure he will get the hang of clay, but what products did you choose??

Geoff

[ QUOTE ]

Milo, im sure he will get the hang of clay, but what products did you choose??

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

I stuck with the Meguiars stuff in the end. It's easy enough to use and I know he'll be happy with the results 169144-ok.gif

I daresay there are better products out there but at the end of the day, it's as much about filling his time as making the car shiny grin.gif