Audi S3 (8L) Custom iPod Cradle/Docking Station

Tunbridge’s Audi S3 Custom iPod Cradle/Docking Station

This is my guide to how I made a custom iPod cradle for use with Dension’s Ice Link Plus. This guide is specific to the 8L Audi S3 but could be adapted to suit other cars.

I’ve been looking at positions to mount my iPod in my 8L Audi S3 for a while, I wanted the iPod on display when in use but didn’t want anything ugly stuck on my dashboard. It also had to look as OME as possible and also be out of sight when not in use. I finally decided on modifying the ashtray (no good if you smoke) into a cradle to sit the iPod on. Here’s how to do it….

1.) Dismantle the dash

First job is to remove the ashtray from the car. To do this I removed the stereo, Climate Control Unit, Storage Compartment then finally the Ashtray unit.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0001.jpg

2.) Dismantle the Ashtray

Once removed from the car the Ashtray was reduced to its component parts.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0002.jpg

3.) Modify the Dension Active Cradle

For this to work you need the correct iPod dock connector. The type that comes on the Audi OME iPod kit has barbs on the plug to stop the iPod becoming disconnected. These need to be squeezed together to release the iPod making then unsuitable for this application. As it can be seen from the photo, the type supplied with Dension’s Active Cradle does not have the barbs. The Dension unit is also less bulky and allows the iPod to sit low enough in the cradle. The cradle was then cut down to allow it to fit into the ashtray. All of the un-necessary plastic was removed using a hacksaw.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0006.jpg

4.) Modify the Ashtray

The centre dividing plate must be removed from the ashtray. This isn’t the easiest thing as the plastic is good quality and you don’t want to risk damaging the base of the tray which is part of the same moulding. In the end I opted to melt it away using the tip of a soldering iron to minimise the risk of cracking the plastic that needed to be retained. Not neat but affective.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0003.jpg

5.) Mount the dock connector

The Dock Connector was bolted through the bottom of the ashtray using 9BA bolts. There are two curial points here.

i.) The Dock must be mounted at the correct angle so that iPod sits correctly within the car.

ii) The bolts must be positioned so they are hidden behind the ashtray front plate once it’s re-fitted.

The bolt heads were counter sunk into the remainder of the dock connector and the nuts were secured using lock-tite. A small amount of plastic must be removed from the back of the front plate to allow it to fit over the nuts.

The cable must also be secured to prevent any pulling on the soldered connections. This can be easily achieved using a small tie-wrap.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0007.jpg

6.) Foam Cradle

To prevent the iPod falling off the dock connector a piece of foam was carved to fit into the ashtray and support the iPod. I used blue polystyrene craft foam that is very dense and easy to cut using a saw or craft knife. The cut out for the iPod was made to be a sung fit to ensure the iPod was held tightly in place.

I also reused the two red illumination LED’s from the old ashtray and mounted them at the front to illuminate the iPod when in use and to make it easy to insert the iPod into the dock at night. (they also make it look more like OME and add to the ‘bling’ factor)

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0008.jpg

7.) Finishing touches

The Foam was coved in felt like material (the type usually used for covering sub enclosures etc) The slot for the iPod was also lined to prevent the iPod getting scratched. It is worth noting that only water-based glue should be used on this type of foam as solvent-based products (including some paints and even some marker pens) react with the foam and melt it.

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0009.jpg

8.) Install into the Dash

The Dension Ice-Link Kit was installed and the dashboard all put back together, here’s the finished article…..

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0010.jpg

And again in the dark…

2007_0107iPod_Audi_Holder0011.jpg

I’ll add some better photos at the weekend when I get chance in the daylight as these ones taken in my garage don’t really do it justice.

It wasn’t quite as simple as it sounds above but overall I’m very pleased with the results. The iPod seems well secured and has never become dislodged when driving. The only negative point is that access to the storage compartment is not possible with the iPod in place. I also love the way the black of the iPod matches the Piano Black trim of my S3 and the red illumination really set it off at night.

The next mod might be to install some sort of change over switch to allow me to retain use of the CD Changer although there is probably no point with 30GB of music storage on the iPod. I know that Dension now do the Gateway 400 but its additional premium over the Ice-Link makes it hard to justify.

I would also recommend the Dension Ice-Link over the Audi OME adapter, as I believe it to be a far superior product. I know they are both made by the same company and the Ice-Link is slightly more expensive but the addition flexibility and features it offers are well worth the money.

Suppliers:

I bought my Dension Ice-Link Kit from www.caraudioplus.co.uk Excellent fast service.

The foam was sourced from e-bay and was only £1.99 for two large sheets, you get enough foam to make it 10 times over.

I seem to remember the felt material covering was from Maplin but I just used some I had left over from a previous project.

Also a big thanks to Ian_F for lending me the stereo removal keys.

• 2 weeks later...