r32 v 3.0tdi

bigface

I followed an A4 3.0 TDI Avant with 4 pie-eating competition winners inside along the A50 for about 30 miles SPericani2.gif

He reached speeds that I'm not going to discuss here sekret.gif

Let's just say that the rev limiter was hit a few times (possibly 6) sekret.gifsekret.gifEEK2.GIF

I kept up ok with a bit to spare but could only just match it under acceleration.

From the pauses during acceleration, I'd say that the A4 only had a manual box & I'd have no idea if it was tweaked. No obvious signs from outside - no AMD stickers or Millteks

I'd guess that the R32 would leave the A6 in the dust on twisty roads but would be a closer call on the straights and very close from a standing start.

Are you sure the A6 can have DSG, not the tiptronic box?

[ QUOTE ]

Modern diesels are sports car killers on the motorways. As you've said, we'd have them on the twisties, but you would prob be stopping for fuel before finding any country lanes... fekr.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i need some serious tuning work done. I'm not having a deisel exec fatcat burning me off. No way jose openfire.gif

the bigger-engined diesel "bahn-stormers" can be super-smooth and rapid cool.gif

some of them it's not even worth trying to dispatch in an R32, they are quick but nowhere near the levels of torque that the soot-chuckers can muster.

a few times I've considered commuting to Europe for contract work for say 3 days per week and I'd definitely consider something like the A6 TDI's or similar if this were to happen.

still prefer petrol engines though smile.gif

In the real world, i don't think many an R32 could leave that A6 even on the twisties. The A6 is still a pretty capable car with bags of torque. I had trouble shaking off a Range Sport Supercharged round silverstone in my A3 3.2Q - not the most dynamic of cars i know, but still with the right driver (test driver at the time) that Range was super quick!

Nick... JUST ORDER THE FECKIN THING!!!!!

When I ordered the car the dealer asked if I wanted it de badged, I said NO WAY I want everyone to know they've just been blown away by a diesel grin.gif

Does anyone have any specific info on the comparative power etc of the 2 stereos as it seems very thin on the ground?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

you would prob be stopping for fuel before finding any country lanes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad, but true! coffee.gif

Didn't Clarkson drive an A8 from the North Circular to Edinburgh & back on 1 tank of fuel? What engine did that have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it an A8 3.0TDI or the 4.0TDI?

The petrol engine will grasp back its market share in due course. The smaller and increasingly efficient petrol engine is much cheaper to produce than a diesel engine, and it's cleaner! It isn't just about tailpipe emissions - A false perspective anyway.

People shouldn't underestimate the importance of sound - Look what happened when Harley-Davidson produced a bike that didn't have that distinctive Harley sound. When I think back across 45 years of being amongst performance cars, it's the sounds I remember the most - An original Brooklands Bentley, one of the 1950s LeMans D-types, original AC Cobra, an old Ferrari warming up every morning for at least 8 minutes before a wheel was even turned, numerous Porsches, etc etc etc. I'll also never forget the smell of Castrol R notworthy.gif.

Dan32's Mk4 R32 is sounding especially good in its present incarnation notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

you would prob be stopping for fuel before finding any country lanes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad, but true! coffee.gif

Didn't Clarkson drive an A8 from the North Circular to Edinburgh & back on 1 tank of fuel? What engine did that have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it an A8 3.0TDI or the 4.0TDI?

[/ QUOTE ]

4.0TDI (twin turbo IIRC) He hit reserve in Nottingham shocked.gif

My E320 cdi has been remapped to c. 270BHP (estimated) and is really quick. It keeps up with my brothers CLK 430 V8.

Upsides - it's cheap to run and pulls like a train from 2-5k rpm. On the motorway it's just effortless

Downsides - it may pull like a train, but it sounds like a friggin tractor. Also if you floor it after driving sedately, it emits a rather large ploom of black smoke. For me tho the biggest down side is this - My car comes with a standard mercedes tiptronic box, which is good, but just doesn't compare to the control you get from a manual sports car with a decent rev range.

PS I'm sure I'll annoy some people by saying this, but the standard GTI *feels* slow in comparison.

[ QUOTE ]

The petrol engine will grasp back its market share in due course. The smaller and increasingly efficient petrol engine is much cheaper to produce than a diesel engine, and it's cleaner! It isn't just about tailpipe emissions - A false perspective anyway.

People shouldn't underestimate the importance of sound - Look what happened when Harley-Davidson produced a bike that didn't have that distinctive Harley sound. When I think back across 45 years of being amongst performance cars, it's the sounds I remember the most - An original Brooklands Bentley, one of the 1950s LeMans D-types, original AC Cobra, an old Ferrari warming up every morning for at least 8 minutes before a wheel was even turned, numerous Porsches, etc etc etc. I'll also never forget the smell of Castrol R notworthy.gif.

Dan32's Mk4 R32 is sounding especially good in its present incarnation notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on Red Robin 169144-ok.gif

And what about the sound of the orginal Audi quattro doing the RAC rally circa 1980 notworthy.gif

And as for the smell of castrol R - happy days as a kid at Oulton Park. I love that place and cant wait for the 1st meeting of the season as its part of summer in my head cool.gif