12 months & might just get be getting there!!

njay

First post for many months but have been keeping up with you guys on the regular.

Some of you may remember a post I made a while ago telling the woes of snapped camchains & new base engine.

Well since having a new base engine in dec 05 my Mk iv R has felt less than right and after many many return trips to the dealer I was getting no joy in having it sorted.

The car was vibrating at 1100 rpm, knocking noises like a barge and not producing what I thought it should. nathan and the guys @ APS diagnosed a flywheel, problem which they thought could of happened as a result of the chain snapping and thus leaving it with too much play.

Finally got some action from VW after writing to Paul Willis @ VW Uk and chasing his PA to get sorted + hours of talking to clueless idiots @ VW customer service and the local dealer.

Cars now been with the dealer for 3 weeks (1.2 Polo not really a good 'replacement' vehicle) and they have agreed to change the flywheel, 1st gear synchro, gearbox casing and are currently working on a problem ith the transfer box.

Has anyne else had similar probs with their gearbox/flywheel that could reassure me that perhaps the work they are doing would rectify my problems? Is is satisfactory for the transfer box to be repaired or should I be asking them for a straight replacement?

Also having the following other work done under waranty so feel I've almost had a new car by the end of it!!:

Dashpod (Computer readings failed)

Expansion tank (Temp warning on permanently)

Fuel Pump (Noisy Fecker)

Air Con Motor (Fecked)

I'm gonna angle for some form of compensation as I've had all this hassle and been without the car for almost 3 out of the last 12 months due to the problems.

What should I be asking for in terms of compensation?

Does the level of work I've had on the car make it less attractive for resale or would it reassure the buyer if they know theses parts have been replaced and technically should last longer?

btw if I didn't love the car so much I'd have PX'd it long ago, but there just isn't any car that does/looks like it in a comparable pricerange that i like.

ah man, sorry to hear that. It distresses me to know that modern cars can give so much grief as old ones. Hope you get it sorted - and that it drives well. Think how chuffed you'll be when you sit it in for the first time and that lovely purr turns into a scream when you stamp on the loud pedal... laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ah man, sorry to hear that. It distresses me to know that modern cars can give so much grief as old ones. Hope you get it sorted - and that it drives well. Think how chuffed you'll be when you sit it in for the first time and that lovely purr turns into a scream when you stamp on the loud pedal... laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamin about it last night, but turned into a nightmare that actually it still wasn't right.

perhaps I should request compensation for mental tourture as I am obviously disturbed!!!

You need to consult some legal advice and try and get a new car out of it! Or at least get your money back that you paid for the mkIV. I would imagine there is only so many problems you can reasonably put up with when the car is under VW warranty from the dealer.

I personally would want a decent compensation, and would feel that the car will never be 100% right after all of that work so just get rid of it. Unfortunatley sometimes certain cars just seem to have bad luck written all over them, and to me yours seems like one of those 'bad luck' cars.

Or late friday afternoon job... It's true though, those 'unlucky' cars are out there. I've had mine from the VW stables.. a 2.9 Corrado. Beautiful car, but OMG, the problems she gave me. Head gasket, ABS fecked etc etc Luckily I wrote it off by accident after a few years which actually worked out cheaper in the long run. Nice car tho... wink.gif