[Audi A3/S3] 8L A3 Idle Problem!!

safety69

Hmmmm. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

When it happened I was using Tescos fuel. I do add a fuel conditioneer though PD5, which is fantastic for fuel economy and emissions. I'm usually sceptical about these things but I wouldn't fill up without this now.

http://www.pd-5england.co.uk/

A bottle lasts me about a year as it's only 10ml per 40L.

I'm in Belfast though and I thought the fuel issue was only affecting the south of England?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to draw a line under my original post I have now had my thermostat replaced and everything is now good in the world. My temp gauge is now getting up to and staying at 90 and my idle is steady as you like at 860 rpm even when free wheeling to a stop.

So if you temp gauge is low and you have an eratic idle try getting you thermostat replaced. yelrotflmao.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Hey,

My idling problem has just gone back to eratic a few days ago since I cleaned it out a few months ago. Im wondering whether I should try disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but unsure on the procedures? What do you think "Wayneo1988"? Thanks

hello mate, what i did was, i disconnected the battery neutral first, and i took my air housing off and the air hosing off so i had room to work. I disconnected the throttle cable and then sprayed the inside of the throttle body carefully and wiped it clean using a clean cloth, once nice and clean, i reconnected the battery and started it leaving it to idle with no throttle, but with all the high power drawing equipment on such as screen heaters, radio bright lights for about 2 minutes, before turning it all off and going for a good drive covering most of the rev range in all gears. ever since touch wood its been fine. What you could also try is someone with vag-com to check the postion of the trottle body and wether its ok.

Thanks for that!

I disconnected my battery for about 20mins the other day and reset but this made no difference, so the next day I cleaned the throttle body myself with it still connected using carb cleaner. Took a few goes to start and once started, it took a few seconds for the revs to smooth out, but the acceleration now is responsive, smooth and not jerky as it was before.

Lets just see how long it lasts...

• 4 years later...

Hi All

Late bump, I know. I have just bought an Audi A3 1.6 2000 , and it has developed the erratic idling and jerky acceleration, and some times near total loss of power. Am going to clean the Throttle Body later this afternoon with some carb cleaner, is this the best guess as to how to solve the problem? When you start the car, the revs fall to about 400, so the car nearly stalls, then the ecu picks it back up to 1k, and then it falls again. This is annoying as said before, as the car wont move by just lifting the clutch as it should do, as it stalls due to lack of power, and when moving off from lights and such, I find myself revving to 2-3k in order to not stall.

Thanks

Jack