R32 Dilemma

NotSoSure

Hello.

I’m a long time lurker sekret.gif thought it was about time I joined in!

Currently driving an ’06 GTI, thinking a changing it for an R32. My main reasons for changing would be the 4 Motion and the V6, oh and the R32 won’t be black crazy.gif too hard to keep looking nice.

I have a few questions I hope you guys could help me with. smile.gif

I’ve had my GTI for a year now and it’s been 100% reliable. Will an R32 be just as reliable? Are there any known issues with it? I’ll be keeping the car for 3-4 years and need something that won’t cause me too much trouble.

Is the boot much smaller than a standard golf? Would you still get a couple of suitcases in there?

I was going to order it early March. Anyone have any ideas if there will be any big spec changes in the MY08 car. I’ve seen a touch screen VW sat nav with Bluetooth which looks nice, wouldn’t mind waiting an extra couple of months for that. grin.gif

Any of you guys gone from a GTI to an R32, what are your thoughts, is it worth it? ECLIPSe.gif

Anyone have any pics of a 4 door R32 in DBP.

I was going to spec the Recaro seats, did VW sort out the problem with them falling apart?

Any help or opinions appreciated. beerchug.gif

I was going to wait for the RSI golf towards the end of the year, but now I hear its going to be a 4 pot, think I’ll just get the R32. I already think the R32 is an expensive car (especially with a decent spec), the RSI might be a bit too much for a golf anyway. ices_blah.gif

Thanks.

Harry. smile.gif

hello Harry and welcome to Tyresmoke beerchug.gif

You will get mixed opinions when comparing the GTI and R32 - mine is that they are totally different cars and no point comparing them.

The V6 engine is a cracker and well-proven from the original version. Have now done over 20k miles and it keeps getting stronger and stronger.

You will see a 22-25 mpg average on the 3.2 long term, big services cost £350 upwards.

Boot space is restricted slightly given the wider wheel housings for the Haldex and rear suspension assembly, but I've had no major problems and the car is very flexible for someone with a busy lifestyle.

One other thing - if you're into modifications then don't rush into things as I've found it really useful to do things in stages. There is a limit to what can sensibly be done to these cars but there are some subtle yet very worthwhile mods that we have all been testing over the last year. Happy to answer any questions on this front if you need any advice !

I don't know a lot about the MY0/08 differences but I opted for an aftermarket Navi system.

Oh, and make sure you spec the highline computer. Recaros are fine if that's your thing but I'm not keen myself.

Let us know how you get on mate 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the info rs32

I’ll be looking to modify it eventually - I’ve heard good things about APS and the R300 conversion (anyone know what the true BHP is afterwards. Can’t be 300, can it?) confused.gif. Just looking forward to ordering / getting it right now. smlove2.gif

Servicing costs seem ok. Its more large items going pop (engine / DSG) and costing a fortune to replace I was concerned about. I do a couple of European trips each year and don’t want to be stuck by the roadside with the car in pieces. smashfreakB.gif The MPG sounds ok, not too far off the GTI. I found the range of the tank a bit limiting, how many miles do you get per tank? Don’t think the R32 has a bigger tank.

I was tempted by an aftermarket sat nav unit, but was put off by the lack of units that could connect to the MFSW and none of them connect to the Highline computer.

Why don’t you like the Recaro seats? I haven’t sat in them, but they look nice. – Maybe a little OTT for a Golf though. Just want to make the R32 feel as different to the GTI as I can.

I’ll be getting DSG again, I think the Highline computer comes as standard with that. I think for around town the DSG is great. I’ve missed a manual gearbox at times though. ECLIPSe.gif

I had a test drive in an R32, but couldn’t really drive it too hard. In what way are the GTI and R32 completely different? I was into BMW e30’s before this (6 pot M20’s) and I’ve missed the 6 pot motor, I’m hoping the R32 will sort that out. FIREdevil.gif

Thanks again.

Harry.

169144-ok.gif

imo of course, but the .:R has a heavier feel and squats down on the road more than the GTI.

Also in the nastier weather conditions that you get driving across Europe the .:R has been unshakeable - those fast, late-night drives where you need to catch a ferry/train in the pi55ing rain have been made so easy. I'm not saying the GTI can't handle poor weather, just that the .:R manages to be completely unfussed in these situations. I have hit severe standing water on the Belgian motorways at high speed and thought "oh dear this is not going to be clever" - but not a single complaint from the car notworthy.gif

Expect 250 miles to a tank when you're a bit keener with the loud pedal - I've managed well over 300 though with a very light right foot. The tank is 55 litres IIRC.

In terms of reliability you're in the hands of the people that built your particular car. If the engine or DSG go wrong then you have the warranty and VW assistance to look after you - no car is infallible.

Regarding the seats I found them to be very uncomfortable when getting in/out and if I had the option to choose again I'd probably go for the standard cloth. The leather is fine (and the seats are incredibly comfortable) but I'm not convinced about their long-term durability.

169144-ok.gif

DSG in an R would be awesome IMO. Standard seats are good enough. Whichever way you look at it notsosure it's still going to be a golf inside and feel like the GTI, but that's until you drive it, chalk and cheese and MPG is not that disimilar. The only difference that i've found is that the 2.0T behaves well economically if you want it to, whereas the 3.2 is a little naughty most of the time. On the limit, when pushed hard or even driven spiritidly, there really is very little difference between the two.

BTW i came from an A3 3.2 to a GTi, mainly because the A3 just couldn't compete dynamically with the Golf.

I dearly miss Quattro (4mo) and that V6 though. 169144-ok.gif

Thanks guys. beerchug.gif

Glad to here the R32 copes well with driving across Europe. grin.gif

It was more built in reliability problems I was worried about (///M power vanos unit anyone) blush.gif . I’ll be buying a LHD car from abroad, so the warranty will only be 2 years with no Europe wide assist, PITA really. frown.gif

Is there anyone here I can contact that would now about the MY08 changes? I’d be a bit pi55ed if I missed out on some new stuff by a couple of months. Can’t see them changing anything but I’d still like to find out though. blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If I were ordering again - with the same amount to spend - I would go for the leather recaros instead of the DSG.

I find the standard seats good - but not quite grippy enough for me.

And great though the DSG is, I would sooner sacrifice that for the better seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I’m sold on the seats. It’s a lot of money to spend without sitting in them first, but they look so cool. ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

DSG in an R would be awesome IMO. Standard seats are good enough. Whichever way you look at it notsosure it's still going to be a golf inside and feel like the GTI, but that's until you drive it, chalk and cheese and MPG is not that disimilar. The only difference that i've found is that the 2.0T behaves well economically if you want it to, whereas the 3.2 is a little naughty most of the time. On the limit, when pushed hard or even driven spiritidly, there really is very little difference between the two.

BTW i came from an A3 3.2 to a GTi, mainly because the A3 just couldn't compete dynamically with the Golf.

I dearly miss Quattro (4mo) and that V6 though. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DSG is great cool.gif The GTI was my first car with an auto box as I’ve always preferred manuals. Not sure I’d go back to a manual now. Never owned a 4 motion / Quattro car before, I hope it’s as good as everyone says. grin.gif

Thanks.

Harry.

4wd is awesome, I still miss it in my 335d - which needs it!!

I would warn you against the Recaro seats. I had them in mine and they are a pain to ge in and out of, scratch VERY easily on the back and mine squeaked so badly i sold the car!!

If I purchased another R32 I would have DSG and the standard seats (leather).

I have beige leather electric sports seats in the GTI now. I think they’re very comfy and excellent on long journeys; they’re also supportive enough for spirited driving. I know I should probably stick with the same seats, especially as I’ve heard the Recaros can scratch easy and can also be troublesome.

Head says standard seats. NONO3.GIF

Heart wants Recaros and wants them now. heart.gif

Not keen on the FWD nature of the GTI, especially when accelerating hard – I can ‘feel’ the front wheels driving the car instead of being pushed along (sounds a bit strange, but hey) confused.gif. It’s the main reason for considering the R32.

Congratulations on the 335D, nice car. Tried to get my mother to consider one – she ended up with a Lexus, not sure how that happened.

The Recaro seats were the main reason you sold your R32 – would the dealer not just fit new ones?? Did you have any other problems with it?

Thanks. 169144-ok.gif

Harry

hi, ive the leather recaros an after 2800 miles in just over 5 weeks you can tell they have been used!! in sayin that i dont think id have liked the car as much without them!also went for aftermarket sat nav!

On the computer over the 2800 miles its av. is 26.1mpg though on longish journies it seams to do 30+ mpg and the most to a tank was 350miles which i dont think was bad!

only complaint is its black which is a nightmare to keep clean!

Am glad i didnt go for a 330d or an a4, but wish id got a silver r32!

I know what you mean about black. My GTI is Diamond black and it’s a pig to keep clean. Looks great for about 20 minutes, then looks like I haven’t washed it in weeks. Not too impressed with the paint either frown.gif. Every bird cr@p or bug leaves a mark in the lacquer no matter how quickly I remove it. I’ve had a couple of black cars before and never had a problem.crazy.gif What do they feed the birds these days tongue.gif

I’m thinking of either Silver or DBP. There is a nice picture of a silver 4 door in the gallery, still looking for a nice DBP 4 Door pic though. I suppose silver is more practical. grin.gif

Glad to hear you’re happy with the Recaro seats. Didn’t think you’d be able to see any wear after only 5 weeks though. EEK2.GIF

Thanks

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No other problems with the R32, I loved it but the seats drive me mad. The dealer fitted new rear backrests but the problem remained. The only option eventually was to return the car to them.

I love the 335d but still miss the R32.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not so much that you'll swap back grin.gif

I think it’s purely a visual thing with the Recaro seats as well.

I’ve always preferred leather as it’s very easy to clean and look after. Mind you, after only a year there are a couple of scuffs on the GTI leather and I have no idea how they got there. shocked.gif

The R32 won’t be used everyday, so I hope I can keep it looking good for longer.

Thanks. beerchug.gif

Harry.

I have the 5 door in silver with DSG.

Silver is anonymous rather than exciting but as I park the car at a train station and airports that's what I wanted plus the Qcar aspect. Only car anoraks and fellow gti/r32 cognoscenti can tell it's an R at a glance. I seldom clean it.

I like the DSG and would get it again but there are times when I want manual

Have had no problems with it (DSG or engine or any other car bits) (8 months 7k miles) except suspension mounts which were replaced under warranty.

Long journeys just under 30mpg, ave 26 but I do lots of shorter trips.

Tested the GTI and the R32 feel is as RS32 says a bit squatter, more four square and solid - heavier in a good way, more assertive.

The V6 is just a wonderful thing to have in any car but especially this one and I can't think of any other that gives the same thrill. including the 335d which i tested. It's just a great companion. Like a good mate who knows your moods and acts accordingly, and who is civilised and urbane but can more than handle himself in a fight.

I'm too old for the recaros which looked out of character to me for the car and i found the standard ones more comfortable and as supportive as needed. I went with cloth because I do relatively low mileage and the leather was expensive and as you will read here has question marks over long term quality / durability.

That's it. Obviously this is not the place for objective opinion re the r32 but from what you've written

if you got one i doubt you'd regret it!

Well, having driven a neighbours RS4, the Recaro's in that are fantastic. I disagree that the Recaro's in the .:R are purely cosmetic. My friend runs a black .:R with standard seats and leather, and to be perfectly honest, The Recaro;s are much better at making the car 'feel' sporty in the way they grip you as you go through bends.

On the track I noticed a HUGE difference with the way they hug you, and on the road, they're no less comfortable than the STD seats. Worth every penny IMHO 169144-ok.gif

I tried an R32 the other week, but I couldn't justify the difference price wise betwwn it and my current GTI. Having driven the R32 and then got back in the GTI, I actually prefer the GTI. smile.gif

Also, I have cloth Recaros in the GTI and they are awesome 169144-ok.gif The car has covered 11,000 miles now (in less than a year) and there are no obvious signs of wear or squeaking !

Hi Carl.

Thanks for the input.

I spent Saturday test driving a couple of cars grin.gif

Evo IX 300. Lovely car to drive and seems practical enough – boot was huge. Not sure I could live with the interior though, ride felt very firm over the crappy road surfaces. Cheaper than the R32 over here too. They arrive here with 280 bhp and are chipped at the dealers to 300 or 320 bhp, no leather as an option or anything tongue.gif Not sure the dealers here would know how to service it properly either. Anyone here owned / driven an Evo IX and R32, what did you think? sekret.gif

Nissan 350Z. It was a customer car so I could only look at it. Looks nice, engine meant to be great. Have no where to put my mountain bike though!

Was also tempted by the S2000 – Always loved the way they look. The STI was another car I might have considered if it wasn’t for the interior being shabby shocked.gif

Still think I’ll stick with the R32. Nothing seems to match it for all round ability and practicality (for the price).

Carl – how are your seat backs after 11,000 miles, I’ve heard they scratch easily and look terrible after a while.

Thanks. 169144-ok.gif

Harry.