tyres

scouse

Goodyear F1's seem pretty good all round. I'm on my 2nd full set of F1's now, and are about to change to my 3rd set soon.

Toyo Proxies (cant remember if it's T1S, or T1R), are pretty good, they are normally very cheap, but they do wear out quicker too.

My friend had them on his R32, and they did grip very well.

The original Pilot Sports are pants in comparison to the two above, which really makes me wonder why they supplied them on fast cars like R32, Focus RS (the old focus), and BMW M3 (I think?)???!!!

I am not rubbishing anyones opinion here, but I had nothing but trouble with the Goodyear F1's, egging the sidewalls of 2 in 12 months on my old Astra GSi turbo. I replaced them with the Bridgestone RE050A's and was well impressed. So much so that I stuck 4 of the same on my .:R, 2 days into ownership. I really rate them cool.gifnotworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I am not rubbishing anyones opinion here, but I had nothing but trouble with the Goodyear F1's, egging the sidewalls of 2 in 12 months on my old Astra GSi turbo. I replaced them with the Bridgestone RE050A's and was well impressed. So much so that I stuck 4 of the same on my .:R, 2 days into ownership. I really rate them cool.gifnotworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why they wouldn't suit the Astra. When I drive hard and drift the car around, the side walls DIE on F1's.

With a powerful FWD car like that, I can see why F1's wouldn't last very long.

Fortunately if you don't drift the R32 around too much, then F1's are very suited to R32s.

I'd be intrested to see what Brigestones are like, they do get some rav reviews

I hope bridgestone UK decides to make available their Potenza RE050A Pole Position tyre, which appears to be only available in the US. I have read many reviews and tyre tests and all conclude that the RE050A Pole Position out performs goodyear F1 GSD3 and the Pilot Sport 2 in the high performance summer tyre category. Please note that the RE050A and the RE050A PP are different tyres.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why they wouldn't suit the Astra. When I drive hard and drift the car around, the side walls DIE on F1's.

With a powerful FWD car like that, I can see why F1's wouldn't last very long.

Fortunately if you don't drift the R32 around too much, then F1's are very suited to R32s.

I'd be intrested to see what Brigestones are like, they do get some rav reviews

[/ QUOTE ]

The Goodyears I had lasted quite well, 10K miles and 280BHP of abuse, but the problem I had is that the sidewalls were soft and the tyre used to roll around the rim, scrubbing the edges off very quickly, also why I egged two of them in 12 months.

The Bridgestones have a much stiffer sidewall, meaning they dont scrub the edges off, and dont end up looking like a bike tyre, in profile. The Bridgestones on the astra lasted really well, still going after 11 1/2K miles of similar abuse when I sold the car.

For the prices I had for the Golf, the B/Stones were cheaper than the F1's (I got all 4 fitted for 440 notes) and I am absolutely mad up with them. The Pilot Sports that came off seemed to be rubbish, but then again, they were spent!

IMO, the Bridgestones are well worth a try, infact, aren't they OE on the mk v's