Problem with Mk4 golf - Gamma Radio and in dash 6

I have a 2002 Mk4 Golf and I have just fitted a VW Gamma Radio and a VW in dash 6 CD changer above it. My question is this. If the radio or CD player is on when the Car is switched off and the key removed, should it come back on the next time the car is started and be on the same radio station or start playing the CD from where it left off. At the moment when you switch the car on again the radio is turned off and if I turn it on and select the CD it just starts from Disk 1 track 1 and not where it was. I hope you understand what I mean as it sounds a bit funny written down.

Am I missing a permanent live that would keep the memory of the CD player and should the radio be on when I start the car?

Thanks

Try the key first. If it's not working with the key out of the ignition that explains why there's no power.

If that doesn't solve it you can wire it all in individually.

Out of interest where did you get the headunit and 6 cd changer from and how much did you pay?

I'm looking to do the same for my mum's car. Was it a straight install or did you need to get any other parts? She has a panasonic head unit at the moment and the cbby hole above it.

I got it off ebay for £160 delivered, it was a very easy install, there is a triangular space that cam with it to fit between the two unit but I didn't see any need for it, make sure you get the lead for the illumination of the changer with it, if you buy both head unit and changer it should be there

Where would I find a wiring diagram for wiring it individually?

IF the install was working properly with the old headunit, you could work out what each wire if for by tracing back from the manual of the aftermarket unit (if that makes sense).

HAve you wired the VW adapter back in to connect to the gamma unit? Is the unit new of 2nd hand? (it might be faulty?)

The connector was just coming out of the wiring loom, when I first put the gamma in it didn't power up so I had to change one of the wires can't remember which now. Is there somewhere that has a diagram of the colours of the wires and which bit of the connector they should go into?

This shouldn't be very hard to get right. If both are VW units then both should have pin outs on the top of them so you should be able to see which wire is going where.

The problems start if one of them is CAN & the other not - can you post a pic of the adapter, pinouts etc. as really the cars wiring should fit both boxes without the need for an adapter. Does the new one have a "quadlock" adaptor (really big box) as they use CAN whereas your original stereo probably did not.

I have gone the other way & converted from OEM CAN (Double Din Delta) to non CAN (MFD) so know where to find the right wires once we know what you need to do !