996 Switchable Sports Exhaust Question

Hackers

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a facelift 996C2. I've just driven one with the switchable exhaust and while it sounded fantastic on the open road, it would definately annoy the neighbours when I have an early start at work. To that end, do you know if when you start the car it defaults to either sports or quiet mode, or does it remember what you had selected when you last turned off the ignition?

As an aside, how important do you all think PSM is on a C2? Garages keep telling me it's not that desirable an option, but then they are stocking cars without it fitted, so that's not too surprising!

Thanks for your expertise.

My exhaust is always on when I start it but to be honest it isn't loud until you rev it and once you've started the car you can always press the button to turn if off. It sounds so good I never turn it off, sod the neighbours. Seriously though if it's that loud when you start it up there may be a problem with the one you looked at, my wife's TDCI is louder than mine when starting up.

I think the PSM is fitted to all facelift 996's. Have you driven the C4 or C4S yet? If not I'd recommend that you do. I have a mate in Aberdeen with a C2 and he regrets buying the C2 due to the regular weather in Scotland. I've recently had a 997 C2 for a day and I was seriously disappointed with the traction/handling but thankfully everybodys different, I like the fact that my cars glued to the road even in the rain.

Best of luck and happy hunting, 911's are great fun. I feel 12 years old just looking at mine. ECLIPSe.gif

Thanks everyone. Doesn't look like it should be too much of a problem for the neighbours then.

From what I've seen, it's only the Carrera 4 that has PSM as standard, as I've looked at a number of C2 facelift cars without it.

Colinjc thanks for the tip, I'd love a C4S, but am away a lot with work, so the bigger boot in a C2 is pretty important to me. (Lame, I know!)

Thanks again for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2c worth.....

The PSE is switchable and by default is in LOUD mode, but you can press the button to put it into QUIET mode before starting (as I do every morning while getting the car out the garage... as the littleun's room is next door). I mostly use the car in LOUD mode as others have said, the noise is dependant on throttle position.

PSE... on my car, when your half asleep, greasy roundabout and forget you've got 320bhp under your right foot it can step out and the PSE saves it... that and when it does it makes you feel like a drift god (fact is that you'd be facing sideways without it!). I've driven in the wet a lot over the past few months and a C2 handles perfectly well... I'd not worry about getting a C4 or C4S... like you said you loose a lot of boot space and when you do fancy a bit of tail out fun it's easier without the four wheel drive. I've had a lot of Audi Quattros and know how good 4x4 is... but these 911 handle so darn well you really don't need it)

Main thing to consider wen buying a Porsche is spec. Get one in the right colour, full service history and the accessories you want.

Plenty out there... and all of them drive like nothing else !

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

The PSE is switchable and by default is in LOUD mode, but you can press the button to put it into QUIET mode before starting (as I do every morning while getting the car out the garage... as the littleun's room is next door). I mostly use the car in LOUD mode as others have said, the noise is dependant on throttle position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure your car hasn't been modified? Certainly for the 997, the default for the PSE is OFF, and you have to press the button to engage the PSE - I thought the 996 was the same?

[ QUOTE ]

PSE... on my car, when your half asleep, greasy roundabout and forget you've got 320bhp under your right foot it can step out and the PSE saves it... that and when it does it makes you feel like a drift god (fact is that you'd be facing sideways without it!).

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a very special PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) if it can save you from spinning the car. Certainly on C4S, I leave that to PSM (Porsche Stability Management).............

[ QUOTE ]

I've driven in the wet a lot over the past few months and a C2 handles perfectly well... I'd not worry about getting a C4 or C4S... like you said you loose a lot of boot space and when you do fancy a bit of tail out fun it's easier without the four wheel drive.

[/ QUOTE ] You do lose some boot space, but I wouldn't say 'a lot' of boot space.

[ QUOTE ]

I've had a lot of Audi Quattros and know how good 4x4 is... but these 911 handle so darn well you really don't need it)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 2WD cars do handle nicely, but Porsche have set the 4WD version to allow some tail out action. I think on the 996 that the 4 was considered a better driver's car than the 2 by some magazines, but to be fair that's hardly conclusive, and many others will have a different opinion - best to drive both to see what you think!!

[ QUOTE ]

Main thing to consider wen buying a Porsche is spec. Get one in the right colour, full service history and the accessories you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warranty is important, given the potential costs that might be incurred. You need to take it to an OPC for the 111-point check, and all being well can then buy a warranty for about £720, I think.

[ QUOTE ]

Plenty out there... and all of them drive like nothing else !

[/ QUOTE ] Can certainly agree with that !!

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Warranty is important, given the potential costs that might be incurred. You need to take it to an OPC for the 111-point check, and all being well can then buy a warranty for about £720, I think.

It's gone up in price to just over £900 now-£925 I think. And the cost for two hours labour will cover the 111 point check too.

Well worth spending on such a car 169144-ok.gif