A3 Suspension problem, running out of ideas!

realparadyne

My A3 has a little suspension problem at the front, if you are turning left and with some enthusiasm where the road is uneven (not holes necessarily) there is a nasty banging noise from the drivers side. It doesn't matter which side the uneven road was, it may even be worse if the passenger/near side goes over the bumps.

So far the dealer has replaced the lower control arms and I think the top-mount on the passenger side. Certainly drives better but the specific noise remains. I'll be taking it back again next Tuesday.

Anybody have any ideas what else it might be? I was thinking of the drivers side top-mount or the anti-roll bar link. The noise is a popping/banging, like hitting the underside with a hammer.

Definately agree with above. The sleeves on the roll bar crack and slide along the roll bar creating a gap between the roll bar and bushes (hence the knocking noise when applying load to one side of car (turning)). The repair is a new roll bar and bushes.

hmmm, I originally thought it was those, there was also a tinkling noise going over cracks right across the road which sounded a lot like my v6 golf did when it needed new anti-roll bushes. The A3 however has only done 8000 miles and all those bits look almost new. I'll be taking it back to the dealer in the morning so I'll go out with the technician and demonstrate, hopefully they will track it down this time. Other than that, the cars a dream...

After playing with it for a couple of days and consulting with Audi technical they've decided to replace the complete driveshaft. Means I won't get it back till Tuesday now at least. No worries though, keeps the miles off it and save me money for a few days while I run their A3 SE TDI. Will report back next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New driveshaft fitted on Monday, but it made no difference..

Yesterday they changed the damper... no difference.

Bit by bit they are giving me a complete new front suspension system! They've kept hold of it and Audi UK have loaned me a car this time. There really can't be much left to change now.

• 3 weeks later...