Chipped GTI - torquesteer and wheelspin?

DHA

I've read it is well controlled although i find even on perfect hot dry days, wheelspin on the standard car is tricky at times. I also find there is a bit of torque steer, most noticable when overtaking on country lanes with varying camber. Great fun though jump.gif

My Revo Stage1 is plotting 244 bhp on dyno and I've driven several 265/270 bhp Mk5 GTI's, including in wet conditions.

Wheelspin is easy even with the standard car - It's simply down to having a sensitive right foot (thin soled shoes help) and feeding the throttle progressively. Once you've mastered that, wheelspin isn't a problem. ESP etc helps manage any unavoidable wheelspin. Also, suspension mods contribute in a small way imo.

Torque-steer? - I've only ever experienced it on the CarLimits airfield course and consequently I know what to expect and I drive within those limits - I advise your friend to do the same on public roads. You've got to be pushing the limit quite hard to get torque-steer - The Mk5 GTI chassis is excellent. Someone else will need to advise you about on the track.

HTH 169144-ok.gif

I haven't noticed any real differences to standard unless you are very agressive with the throttle. I did manage to spin the wheels on some Shellgrip the other day when going onto a roundabout, probably took about 1000 miles off the tyres. shocked.gif

The real benefit is above 2500 revs where you really notice the extra power but I haven't noticed any torque steer.

.... lol.gif

As mikemod says, there is very real benefit in a remapped (or Ed30) GTI. The power is very smooth but is there when you want it, all the way up beyond legal limits.

If you....Ooops! I mean your 'friend'....decides to remap I strongly recommend a Forge Diverter Valve to replace the OEM just as a preventative measure. The VW ones have been known to fail and have been revised several times by VW already - It's the weak link in the chain.

Beware the slippery slope! grin.gif