Stolen Porsche recovered by police-need some help!

delticc

Last sunday after driving back from the Hospital after loosing my Mum to Cancer I was car-jacked close to home and my 3 month old Porsche Cayman was taken.

I just backed off, a 10" kitchen knife being pointed at you really makes you think twice!

The car got recovered on friday, with a stolen Audi A4 cab, both on false plates. I've had it taken to my Porsche dealer, much to the disapointment of my Insurance company. Incidentally there were arrests!

So i've looked at the car, and apart from all the fingerprint dust being everywhere inside and out it looks straight. My only concern inicially was the brake discs were discoloured on the painted parts in the centre- the grey paint has gone gold/brown creeping out and fading from the braking surface to the wheel. I've seen Porsches after being "used" around Spa and the Nurburgring and they didn't have these heat marks- have these been badly toasted and thus the pads and fuild be ruined too?

The car had only done 4000 miles and had really only been lightly used up to now and i'm worried damage which even the dealers can't find will have occured- can I refuse the car.

Even though its been recovered without being part of a write off claim will it now HPI check as a stolen recovered? If thats the case its gonna be worht a lot less!

Any advice would be really appriciated!

There are plenty people on TSN who I'm sure can and will give you good advice. All I can do is sympathise - The circumstances of losing your Mum and then having your car taken from you violently are utterly sickening.

I'm sure that everyone will welcome you to Tyresmoke and offer you as much emotional support and advice as they can.

Gary, welcome to TSN. Looks like an enthusiastic moderator has decided this would be better in the Porsche forum. Apparently Porsches have different and specific criteria when it comes to being stolen and recovered for insurance purposes.

There've been a few posts about stolen recovered stuff recently in the General Cars forum. I'll have a look see if I can find some info for you. 169144-ok.gif

Yep, here we are. Link.

It's a fairly long winded read to get to where you want to be, but the gist of it in this particular instance is that my good friends Audi smitten and Booster say that there will be no marker on the HPI check as it only gets recorded if the insurers pay out. So as long as there's no damage, your car will still be HPI clear.

In your case however, there may be some damage to repair with the brakes etc. so if it's minimal damage, then perhaps it'd be best to cover it yourself and leave the insurance out of it. They'll only up your premium next year to recoup it back.

Perhaps, someone else will post up to advise in more detail.

Edit: Maybe the ragging they gave it will've loosened up the engine a bit.:) It doesn't do a diesel any harm once in a while.

And do I know you from UK-Mkiv's forum or somewhere?

uk-mkivs! yep its me!

I'll have to go through my insurers, as the £250 excess will have to cover a £540 recovery bill already! A set of brakes is £1000 and thats before its been inspected!

So if a claim is completed it'll be a stolen recovered...damn.

But if you go through the insurers you end up with a car which will be worth a lot less due to the marker on it. If you stand to lose £5k on the value car because of this, then in effect you'd save money by forking out anywhere up to that amount out of your own pocket.

Rough example:

<ul type="square"> [*]tow in charge - £540

[*]brakes - £1000

[*]locks & keys / minor paintwork damage - £800

adds up to less than £2500. Your insurers pay this, but you pay (example) increased premiums and loss of no claims for the next few years, and it costs you £1500 as a result. Now add to that the reduced value of the car (eg £5000) and your claim costs you about £6500.

But cover the first 3 items yourself and it's now £2300, with no insurance hike or no claims lost, and crucially, no stolen recovered marker to knock £5000 off the value. You're actually saving over £4000.

Of course this is only an example, and figures will depend on your circumstances but you get the idea.

[ QUOTE ]

But if you go through the insurers you end up with a car which will be worth a lot less due to the marker on it. If you stand to lose £5k on the value car because of this, then in effect you'd save money by forking out anywhere up to that amount out of your own pocket.

Rough example:

<ul type="square"> [*]tow in charge - £540

[*]brakes - £1000

[*]locks & keys / minor paintwork damage - £800

adds up to less than £2500. Your insurers pay this, but you pay (example) increased premiums and loss of no claims for the next few years, and it costs you £1500 as a result. Now add to that the reduced value of the car (eg £5000) and your claim costs you about £6500.

But cover the first 3 items yourself and it's now £2300, with no insurance hike or no claims lost, and crucially, no stolen recovered marker to knock £5000 off the value. You're actually saving over £4000.

Of course this is only an example, and figures will depend on your circumstances but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this. Balls!

Sorry to hear about this.

As Rustynuts has siad above, unless the insurance company pay out the value of the car it will not be marked as stolen recovered at HPI.

The only other time it could be recorded as such is if the car was written off due to the costs of replacing the locks etc outweigh the value of the car. This obviously won't be the case in this situation.

So, just to confirm...

If I don't make a claim the car will not be recorded as a stolen recovered

But if I make a claim for recovery fees and the small repairs it will then be recorded as a stolen recovered, or is that only if it was involved in a atotla loss claim. I can't get a specific answer off my insurance company regarding this!

[ QUOTE ]

But if I make a claim for recovery fees and the small repairs it will then be recorded as a stolen recovered, or is that only if it was involved in a atotla loss claim

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct 169144-ok.gif It will only be recorded as S/R if they pay out on a total loss claim and class the car as a CAT D write off. The HPI stolen marker should disappear within 7 days.

Richy, I guess it needs new locks as I presume they stole it with the keys in and they weren't in it when it was recovered.

[ QUOTE ]

Really sorry to hear about this too.

I'd get the brakes done at a good indy and save yourself several hundred £s, but I agree with the above, don;t go through the insurance. BTW, I'm probably being stupid but why do the locks need changing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I added the cost of locks and minor paintwork to my example purely to make the figures a bit more realistic. It may not need them. 169144-ok.gif

The police have my other key as evidence against the scumbag who they arrested. I've asked the Porsche dealers to sort me another as a spare for the time being, it takes 5 days to order from the chassis no, they couldn't have duplicated it anyway plus everything has been re-coded too.

I've asked them to do a geo on the suspension and ajust if necessary and clean it up (which will be free)and report on any other issues.

Its luckily undamaged- they put it on a ramp so i could have a look and even underneath is totally scuff free etc so the insurance claim is cancelled- no dodgy quote next year....

[ QUOTE ]

Good stuff Gary. It's getting better.

However, I forgot to say in my earlier posts: I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. Thoughts are with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mate, and thanks for the advice too!

What was your username over on uk-mkivs.net?

[ QUOTE ]

You should ask Oli H about this, his car (MKV GTi) was stolen and recovered and as far as i know he refused to take it back, but may be wrong. I can PM him if you like?

Dave

PS my sincere condolences for the loss of your mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all sorted now, thanks anyway though!