[Audi A3/S3] S3 Diverter Valve question

Beamish

Hi,

I've been searching the forum for a few hours with regard to Diverter Valves for my 2003 S3 but can not seem to find the answers.

I think my DV is on the way out as it has started making the 'blow out' noise when the turbo spins up. I've only been Revo'd for 3 weeks but I guess this is a common problem.

Questions: -

1) Do the Milltek DV's add anything to your insurance premium? and is it worth getting a Milltek over another standard DV which I am tempted to do at the minute?

2) Starting up from cold my car seems to be a little 'jerky' and there is slight hesitation when I gently put my foot down. Should I just change out the MAF as I have never done this and I am up to 54k miles now?

3) Part numbers / best place to buy?

Cheers,

oh - and anyone thinking of getting a Revo (or another re-map) - just go and get it done! It's fantastic! 169144-ok.gif

The standard DV's do seem to struggle once your remapped and yes, changing it is classed as an insurance mod. I know there have been several revision of the factory Bosch one but your best getting a Forge one to be honest. Didn't even know Milltek made them, you'll probably find they're made by someone else anyway. What makes you think the MAF has failed? Have you run diags and checked for any fault codes?

Details of Forge DV below...

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMCL007PA

Thanks - i'll put in a call to my insurance company (Bell) and ask but after they quoted me £280 extra for the R32 ARB's i'm not holding my breath!

Re. MAF - I have been reading around the subject on the forum and it seems to be connected with 'jerkiness' and hesitation etc. I also read that someone had said to replace it anyway as they degrade over time. I've never touched mine in 54k miles so thought for the sake of £70 I would treat her to a new one!

Can I fit the DV myself? Is it relatively simple?

You can but its a bit of a fiddle as the factory DV uses spring clips to hold it on and you have to break these to get it off. You then use new jubilee clips on the new valve. it depends if you're confident/competant at doing basic mechanics, if your not I'd leave it...

You could just get a replacement factory DV, you'll probably find the one you have has been superceded by a newer revision one anyway. I ran my old Leon Cupra R (same engine as an S3) on the factory one for 30k with no issues remapped.