What size is the nut on the rear hub carrier

david1

Thanks to It_S8 I have got some part for the rear inc hub carrier and arm etc. I am going to tackle this on the week-end. Can anyone tell me what size is the large nut on the hub as I need to buy a good 6 point socket to get this off. Any other tips to make the job easier would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks again to IT_S8.

No worries David,

I can recall its a 17mm allen bolt on the front, but it escapes me exactly what size socket it was on the rear. It will be on very tight though, so a decent length breaker bar will make a world of difference. The audi manuals recommend you loosen this nut before taking the wheel off, ie when its still sat on the ground so you're not applying all that force on an axle that is suspended in the air.... I've got the rear axle bolts in a box somewhere, I'll dig them out tonight and let you know what size fits...

Mine was 27 mm, seems your doing what I had to do to mine. to undo it you will need a good solid breaker bar for your socket. easiet thing to do is jack the car up in park and with handbrake firmly applied, put your socket on the nut and the end of the bar on an axle stand or such like, positioned so as the car goes down, the weight of the car will undo the nut, lower the jack very slowly, use a trolley jack and it will come undone easy. (I love my air gun!) It is important though that the nut is tightened to the correct torque. although it is a straight bearing the driveshaft bolt sets the preload, too tight and it will eat the bearing, too loose and it will undo itself.

Dan

Wiganer you were spot on regarding the size at 27mm and the tip regarding letting the weight of the car loosen the bolt worked a treat. Would have finished today but the bushes on the trailing arm are severely worn (4D0505171H & 4D0511523C)I think there are two each & probably main dealer only unless anyone can suggest otherwise. Incidently can anyone advise on the easiest way to change these bushes, or does one have to find a garage with a press/heat?

Thanks again.

More than likeley main dealer only, a big vice and some bits of tube are one way of changing them, or some pipe, a big flat washer and some threaded bar are another, the easiest way is to pop into a local garage and wave a 20 pound note under a mechanics nose... it works here.