What does the Tyresmoke massive think

collease

About the new Honda Civic. Not so new anymore i know but its growing on me and now me thinks it would be a better option than my old Golf. I can get a 2.2 diesel with everything on it except satnav for £12k. It is used but only done delivery miles. It is a year old and is a 5 door.

Not Driven one yet its more difficult to get a test drive in one when you work for the company than it is if your a proper customer. I have to fit round everyone else.

Just want peoples honest opinions of what its like to drive and the general feel of the car. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think one bod on here has had all sorts of grief with his wife's new Civic.

But that might just be one car of many????

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure that it is unfortunately. Have read about quite a few other issues, including gearbox and lower level engine issues EEK2.GIF.

However, having said all that, at £12k and a year old it might be worth a punt. Still has warranty, has the best engine (bar Type R), is supposed to be quite 'sporty' to drive and as long as it's a healthy example then could be fine.

A collegue bought one of the 2.2D end of last year and aint had any issues with it whatsoever and uses it to commute between Sheffield and Leeds every day.

He told me about this forum and said you would find it very useful.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/index.php

I looked on it and found this infro from the common faults check on a new car and pasted it below.

Hope it helps. smile.gif

============

On collection of a new car - here are some known faults that you may want to test/check in addition to the stuff you'd check on any new car:

Rear shocks

Early cars made a "clonking" noise from the rear, caused by a batch of faulty shocks. A test drive will highlight this, but then the dealer should have just checked it. Ask the dealer if it has the fault - that should throw him!

Fuel filler cap

The cap on some cars doesn't open when you pull the lever. Pull the lever (by the drivers feet) once to check the cap opens.

Radio problems

As you arrive in your old car, tune a station that is of marginal, but just-ok reception. When you get into the Civic, tune the same frequency and check the reception is acceptable. There have been reports of poor reception.

Cigarette lighter

Pull the cig lighter out a few times and make sure the socket doesn't come out too.

Gear stick

Check it's screwed on.

Handbrake light

Check it goes on and off with the handbrake.

Door fit

Check the doors are aligned correctly. The stripe down the middle part of the door should line up with the stripe on the front wing and the stripe on the rear door.

Headlights fouling bumper

Check the bottom of the headlights are not touching the bumper (may rub causing paint to come off).

Missing clips

Have a look at the centre console down at floor level near your feet. There should be 2 clips on each side - these can pop out and go missing.

Reversing aids

If you've had dealer-installed accessories fitted, check for scratches all around the rear-centre console, the centre console, the gearchange and inside the tailgate.

Rear lights

Fog light not connected, best to check all lights working.

Scratches on the dash

The dash is very shiny and very prone to getting scratched. Check under good lighting conditions the black plastic around the instrument console and the perspex instrument cover.

They were known to suffer from fog light covers cracking due to bad design. The body was flexing and placing too much load on them. I'm not sure if this problem has been rectified, but so far I've not heard a lot of good things about them, with parts falling off, cracking or just failing. And that's just those who work here.

crazy.gif

A guy I work with has had that exact same issue! It's been in twice to be rectified and it's still not right, but I don't know if that's a reflection on the design and/or quality or the dealer who carried out the work.

[ QUOTE ]

A guy I work with has had that exact same issue! It's been in twice to be rectified and it's still not right, but I don't know if that's a reflection on the design and/or quality or the dealer who carried out the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the design as several cars have been to several differnt dealers, all the same problem. Fixed, but the cracks reappear shortly afterwards.

My dad has a particular dislike to these cars, so much so it try not to listen, but he mentioned a few weeks back when i went round that they came bottom in a recent reliability survey. No idea who it was carried out by but found it rather shocking.

It seems a great price, but im not too keen myself

[ QUOTE ]

About the new Honda Civic. Not so new anymore i know but its growing on me and now me thinks it would be a better option than my old Golf. I can get a 2.2 diesel with everything on it except satnav for £12k. It is used but only done delivery miles. It is a year old and is a 5 door.

Not Driven one yet its more difficult to get a test drive in one when you work for the company than it is if your a proper customer. I have to fit round everyone else.

Just want peoples honest opinions of what its like to drive and the general feel of the car. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, honest answer. I bought the wife a new one 2.2CDTI SE I think, anyway cost 17K so 12K is a bit of a gift.

Both front spot lamps shattered, fought "Holden Hondas" for new ones under warantee, ended up getting them after customer services intervened. ALL the doors have filled up with water!!!!! I mean gallons, the ruber bungs block, I have removed them all, the Battery went flat after the car was left for three days, Holdens responce "Nothing found sir" next day Dead!!!!! I found boot light stuck on.

Paint quality POOR,we have the silver and you can almost see through it now, it stone chips BADLY along with Alloy wheels suffering from brake dust distruction, our Car has covered 13.5K, stone chipped at the front badly, all wheels stained and pitted (dispite constant cleaning).

Fuel economy 50 MPG constant, car is now reliable, front tyres last 12/13K.

I also find the dashboard seems to atract a lot of dust and discolouration!!

The car is used up and down the A11 mostly.

I hope this helps.

This web site will give you much INFO

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/index.php?sid=a9da019c791412ed8ad11f82ba44f782

Cant comment on the rliability, but went in a mates 2.2 Diesel the otehr day and couldnt believe how smooth and quiet it was, I thought it was a petrol. I think the message is never buy a car in the first year of production - you ARE the post production testers!