Engine revision or replacement

keithvincent

It's evident you guys have a lot of fun here, so I'm glad I've found you. However, my main purpose is to ask advice, so if I've hit the wrong forum, please advise. I have just bought a 1990 Passat estate, and it smokes like a factory chimney. It was very cheap, having failed the French MOT just on pollution control - the rest of the car is ok. I have no VW agent nearby to help me analyse the cause, and I'm getting a whole variety of conflicting advice. In general terms, I've been told to drop in a replacement lump from my local scrapyard (and to my surprise, they have one), this being cheaper than a complete overhaul of the existing (which has clocked 200,000 kms). But I'm also told it may not be the rings, as the car performs adequately for its age, but possibly the bearings in the turbo allowing lots of oil to escape - it's burning about a litre per 300 kms at present (very smokey!). I was surprised when my helpful scrappie told me the engine is a 1.6, as I had bought it under the impression it was 1.9, and the bulkhead label bears a little orange sticker saying 1.8. Yes, I'm confused! So my questions are: how can I find out what the oil-burning problem is; is the 1.6TD an adequate power source for an estate which has to carry my tools of trade, and can the 1.6 be replaced easily by a 1.9 (my scrappie has both available). Other than that, I'm very impressed with the car - it's a good solid motor (my boy racer days are long gone) and comfortable on long drives, with plenty of legroom for my passengers. If I can solve this one, I may be tempted to look for something more recent. All advice gratefully received.

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

IMHO the answer is pretty straightforward, if you can get a decent replacement, go for it! An overhaul will definitely be more expensive, although you'll have the benefit of a 'new' engine. But y'r already talking about getting a younger car, so I doubt if it'll be worth it.

Taking the same engine will make your life easier I think. I'm not sure which engine you have, but choosing the same might be the best/easiest thing to do.

Not sure about the turbo story, but at 200.000 kms it looks like it'll be the engine. Fitting oversized rings might do the trick as well, but a good replacement with less kms may be the best option still.

So far my opinion, maybe someone else would care to advise you on the power issue, and the possibilities/difficulties to fit a different engine.

Good luck! wink.gif

Hi i am also new to the site.

I would suggest that you remove the bottom hose to the turbo intercooler and see if lots of oil spills from the cooler as this is usually a good sign that the turbo seals/bearing have worn excessively.

If you can get me the engine code which, if it is still there, wil be in one of 3 places i should be able to let you know the engine size. The first place to look is the front page of the service book but this may be confusing as there is a lot of other info and digits there. The same sticker should be found in the boot on the left hand side of the spare wheel well. The third is to look on the timimg belt cover. There should be a white sticker with a bar code and 2 or 3 letters followed by 6 numbers. It is the three letters that are your engine code.

If you let me know i will find out for you

• 2 weeks later...