Dead dashboard in 1994 Audi 80 TDi

shark_90

I've managed to kill the dash on my 80. It happened a while ago and when I decided I should get around to fixing it I posted on audifans.net as I heard it's the place to be for older Audi models, but unfortunately no one over there could help.

Basically I bought an ebay special central locking kit for my 80 and fitted it. But when it came to wiring the power, I was a bit lazy and just stole the constant power from the back of the radio. I wouldn't dream of doing that on a new car, but on an old car I didn't think it'd make the blindest bit of difference.

Since then, the dash clocks haven't worked, although the fuel gauge still does. The two lights that flash when you put the ignition on (brake warning and coolant I think) don't flash either. When the engine is running I get no rev counter, and the oil light is on constantly. The speedo doesn't work and the odometer doesn't rack up the mileage.

I could do with fixing this before the Scumball. Does anyone here have any ideas? I've tried a new dash cluster, and it's not that, and I've tried my dash in another 80 and that still seems to work OK.

Fuse 15 (I think) is the one listed as "instrument cluster" on the fuseboard and that had gone. I also think another one went but it was so long ago I can't remember. Either way I replaced 15 or both if indeed there was 2 gone.

I think it's that the dash isn't getting a +12v any more, so whatever fuse or relay inline has got fried.

Any help appreciated as always 169144-ok.gif

Jim

I just consulted the Complete Book Of Office Mispractice, and went out to the car. The Tickentockenblinkenflashen work, as do the Schwishundschwashdirtschpreden.

The dash works in my other 80 so the dash is fine. It must be something before the dash that's gone, and I think it's the power.

Radioman - I'll have a look at them tomorrow and do some investigating. Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Shark 90,

Having looked at the diagrams I indicated to you, Assuming the 1992 Audi 80 is similar to yours, Fuse #4 on the diagram that feeds the radio also supplies a feed to the instrument cluster and the auto-check control unit. If you hooked the central locking to this and blew that fuse then it will affect the instrument cluster. If I were you I would check all fuses in the Fuse/Relay unit and replace any that have gone. Also remove your feed wire off the radio first!

I removed the feed wire straight away and this now goes directly to the battery. The radio works fine, and I've checked fuse 4 and it's OK. As I said this happened a while ago and I think 2 fuses blew so it would make sense that they were fuse 4 and 15.

I have looked at the wiring diagram and I have to say I'm rubbish at reading them.. but I have forwarded them on to a man who can hopefully "translate" them wink.gif

Cheers

Fuse 14 is fine, I've just been out to check.

I do have:

Turn signals

Illumination

Handbrake light

ABS light

Glow plug light

Fuel gauge

Oil light on constantly when engine running

I don't have:

Coolant and Brake warnings flashing with ignition on as in my other 80 TDi

Rev counter

Speedo

Temp gauge

Sorry to harp on about checking fuses. The electronic thermo switch that feeds the temperature gauge, the speedometer sender unit and various other things are off of Fuse #12. Re my earlier post, I don’t know if you have checked the fuses one by one but I would recommend this. Take each one out and visually inspect it closely: I’ve had them where they look OK at first glance but are open circuit.

The thermo switch is a separate unit, if that’s faulty I don’t see why the other bits aren’t working. Speedo sender also is a separate unit.

I’ve tried to find a wiring diagram on the net for a 1994 Audi 80 but had no luck. From 1993 on they all seem to be Audi 90’s. Do you know if the diagram I am working from (1992 Audi 80) is near enough the same? Does your instrument cluster have an auto check unit in the centre of it, which I believe is a separate part?

No, my dash doesn't have AutoCheck - in it's place there's the coolant light and the brake warning light that usually flash when the ignition is on but before the engine is started - these no longer flash like they should but they did a couple of times on starting shortly after the dash stopped working, but they never flash anymore.

I think 1992 would have been the year that the model was facelifted so the wiring may be different... frown.gif

I can’t seem to find any wiring diagrams without the auto check unit, but on the diagrams I am using the common link for the temp gauge, speedo and sender unit is Fuse #12. If that fuse is OK, this is fed from one contact of the ignition switch assembly. You could use your multimeter to check if any volts are getting to fuse #12. Clip the negative of the meter to a good chassis connection and use the positive prod to see if 12volts is on the fuse. You may have to put in one of those blade fuses that have a hole in the plastic top to get a connection. You should get 12v when ignition is on.

That unit in the centre of your dash then, if you haven’t got Auto-Check, presumably is the Mini-Check unit, which has your coolant and brake warning lights on. If so, when you changed the cluster did that unit change with it or did it clip out and stay in the dash?

It seems then that the fault lies somewhere in the circuitry of the connections in the Avant that go to the Mini Check Circuit. I can’t find a definitive wiring diagram for a 1994 Audi 80 B4. Do you have the page that goes to the left of the one you posted (in German)? It appears to have been left out on purpose in what I have.

On further reading of the wiring diagram, I reckon you have lost the 86s feed off the ignition switch. It may be worth checking this on the back of the ignition barrel with your multimeter. Diagram says it's the red wire.It goes to T14/12 on the cluster and into the Mini Check Unit.