Enigne coolant temp gauge affected by aircon

BT52

Bit confused. If I start the car with 'Econ' activated ie the air con compressor off, then the temp gauge works fine, goes up to around 90 degrees.

But if I then turn the Econ off, ie the air-con back on, then the temp gauge falls back down to 50 degrees within seconds.

If I turn Econ back on then the gauge still stays at 50.

What is going on?

Mark

I doubt it would drop the temp from 90 to 50 in 5 seconds, and it wasn't running when I looked under the bonnet yesterday.

Is it the same sensor that the dash temp gauge uses that the ECU and radiator fan use? ]

If not I'm not too bothered. The idling speed drops to a sensible level which suggests it isn't running as if it thinks it has just started, and I average 30mpg on the motorways easily so I don't think it is running rich. (4.2 by the way)

Too scared to test the radiator fan in case it doesn't come on...

You could maybe have a dodgy thermostat which is sticking open and not closing again until properly cold (if it's a 40v they they are renowned for dodgy thermostats)..

Given that it's going as low as 50 and not coming up again, it does sound more like an iffy temperature sender though.