What fuel should you use?????????????????????????

dfes221

JET fuel- Just forget it!I've been seeing loads of people with BMW's (M5's, M3's), 07 plate Audi's with big engines filling up at JET. What is up with people?? It's one of the worst fuels money can buy!

Tesco- Although people say supermarket fuel is rubbish, Tesco fuel is 98 RON (don't ask me what that is). The same RON as Shell's. It's just the same quality fuel but for cheaper. High performance car manufactures advise you to use 98 RON because you get the maximum out of your car. The engine should work and last longer.

Shell- Excellent fuel. It powers Ferrari F1 cars so........

Bit expensive though. 98 RON also

All the rest.........I'll let you judge for your self

169144-ok.gif

Hey Ron, do you do wrong???????????????????????

I do do wrong, Ron, I do do wrong.

Ok... time to point and laugh at the thicky...

I know roughly what the RON measure is all about...

A measure of the 'octane' level of a fuel, which correlates to it's combustability...

What's the craic with diesel though, given that it combusts under heat generated purely from pressure... Does the octane level of the fuel matter & apply in the same way?

Does diesel even have a range of RON counts?

If so, what's good & bad, and what do they typically sell at Sainzys?

All I've heard about before in relation to diesel is that there's one type sold to industry and another to the punter in the street, but that's just to do with tax isn't it?

Come on you diesel gurus... Chemistry sets out and dish the gen...

Diesel uses a "cetane" rating, rather than octane, and is a measure of how long after being injected in to a cylinder the fuel starts to burn. Wikipedia has it that a cetane number of 55 is considered the maximum before the advantage levels off. Standard diesel is at about 51

"industrial" diesel, comonly refered to red diesel, is indeed fuel duty rebated diesel for use in vehicles not used on the public highway (appart from short trips) e.g. Diggers, forklifts, tractors etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Normal = 95 ron

BP Ultimate = 97 ron

V-Power = 98 ron

Tesco Super = 99 ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't V-Power 100 RON? Well it is over here anyway. Optimax was 98 RON.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I wondered about that and noticed on a recent trip to Germany (going there again this weekend smile.gif). Pic of German pumps:

1202765-ShellFuels.jpg

Normal people take typical tourist pics - I take pics of petrol pumps grin.gif.

post-10081-137914404358_thumb.jpg