Seat back DVD players... portable.

Simonl

I got the cheapest I could find - shopped around and found some on offer in Toys R Us of all places. They do the trick just fine. Having demod a few I found there was not much difference in screen quality at the low end, and being young they needed to have speakers inthe screens as headphones are just not going to work.

Having now got the cheapest (had them about 12 months now) - some things I would look for -

Battery / 12v / Mains power options - mine is 12v only so you cant use them elsewhere easily.

Dual input - ours are single feed, no issue now, but in the future I can envisage fights over who wants to watch what in the near future!!!!

I bought This

£120, and it's been fantastic. It straps on to the headrest of the 6, doesn't come off, the picture quality is reasonable, the sound is a bit tinny, but the youngest loves it.

It has battery and mains power (and 12v) and it'll run off battery for hours when charged. Very impressed indeed.

Thanks guys... 169144-ok.gif

I bought one of these. It actually bolts to the headrest supports like a mini LCD wall bracket. Rock solid fixing and gorgeous looking too. The whole facia is black gloss and the back is white... no inspiration from apple's ipod then grin.gif It comes with a stand too, so it can act like portable TV or a digital picture frame.

mainphoto5567.jpg

That looks great. I couldn't have bought one of those though because the 6's headrests have no standard supports. The convertible has a single support into which there are motors for the electric raising and lowering of the headrest - so I was pretty much stuck with choosing one that would simply strap around the headrest itself.

That Philips one looks very cool.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys... 169144-ok.gif

I bought one of these. It actually bolts to the headrest supports like a mini LCD wall bracket. Rock solid fixing and gorgeous looking too. The whole facia is black gloss and the back is white... no inspiration from apple's ipod then grin.gif It comes with a stand too, so it can act like portable TV or a digital picture frame.

mainphoto5567.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that 169144-ok.gif

How much?

I have been thinking about one of these for my two year old daughter, that Philips one looks great. How much was it and where did you buy it from. I assume DVDs slot in the side do they? What about power, does it run from its own rechargeable battery or does it need fed from the cigarette lighter or some other permanent source? ALso is it easily removed from the bracket when parking and does the headrest need to be raised much to enable the bracket to be fitted.

Loads of questions.............sorry

Phillips PET830

RRP was £229 but you can get them here for £164 delivered 169144-ok.gif

You can charge it via mains or via your cars 12v socket. But once charged it runs on it's own. I gave it a 15 min blast at home and it ran for over 1 1/2 hours at the weekend (my 1 year old was transfixed!)... top stuff. Picture quality is amazing and it can view WMV, Mpeg4, DIVx, DVD, MP3, jpegs (for photos) It also has a USB input as well as well as Composite Video Output... so it can act like a portable DVD player for when you go away on hols or for another room in the house. DVD's slide in the side.

With regards the car kit, on mine the bracket sits at the very bottom of the headrest supports and with the headrest lowered you can barely see it - that said, it's well designed anyway so even if you had to have your headrest raised it wouldn't be such a problem. It comes in two parts as well. There's a bit that clamps around the support- that's permament, then there's the small arm that screws to the TV- that clips in and out, so basically you can whip it out in 2 secs and what's left in the car is very discreet! 169144-ok.gif

Oh, it is also remote controlled... not such an issue in the car but good when you're using it as a DVD player indoors. beerchug.gif

My two year old daughter would love me even more big time if i bought that!!!! I read on some other forum someone complaining that the brackets for these things are dangerous in an accident as they could injure a child hitting against them. Whats your thoughts on that aspect?

What length is the lead to charge it from the ciogar lighter....is it long enough to stretch from the socket in the dash to the headrest position?

I know I should maybe keep my opinions to myself, but I have to ask (becaise I have been tempted but resisted) why would you want you children to stare at a aD VD in the car aswell as at home, why can't they be taught to enjoy a journ ey and the new and am azing things that are going past outside?.... most of us managed when we were kids didn't we?

Doesn't it also promote car sickness?

As a gadget kind of bloke I love the idea of it, I just couldn't forgive myself for sitting my 5 year old in front of a screen at any/every given opportunity...

Sat Nav is bad enough, everyone knowing where they are goin g but no idea where they are....

[ QUOTE ]

I know I should maybe keep my opinions to myself, but I have to ask (becaise I have been tempted but resisted) why would you want you children to stare at a aD VD in the car aswell as at home, why can't they be taught to enjoy a journ ey and the new and am azing things that are going past outside?.... most of us managed when we were kids didn't we?

As a gadget kind of bloke I love the idea of it, I just couldn't forgive myself for sitting my 5 year old in front of a screen at any/every given opportunity...

Sat Nav is bad enough, everyone knowing where they are goin g but no idea where they are....

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrow my 1 year old for a couple of hours and morals will go out the window... along with him no doubt. grin.gif

It's only for long journeys mate, which can be absolutely hell when they decide that their bored and want out!

I'm sure when my parents were his age, my grandparents couldn't see the appeal of a motor car when a horse and carrige could suffice.

When he's old enough i'll be in the back too - with the PS4 plugged in beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My two year old daughter would love me even more big time if i bought that!!!! I read on some other forum someone complaining that the brackets for these things are dangerous in an accident as they could injure a child hitting against them. Whats your thoughts on that aspect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, which i was worried about myself TBH. I think a lot of the problems stemmed from the velcro ones that literally ripped off. As these ones bolt on they should be safer.

[ QUOTE ]

What length is the lead to charge it from the ciogar lighter....is it long enough to stretch from the socket in the dash to the headrest position?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will reach my rear one no probs, doubt it will reach the front one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have children?

Who says they sit in front of a DVD/TV all the time at home? You're making the assumption that the DVD player for a car is a substitute for an in-house addiction, and not just to keep a child amused on what can sometimes be long and boring journies, especially if stuck in traffic.

Ours is on rarely. Just on a long journey in fact. No one is saying we have them on all the time. crazy.gif

Furthermore, a few kids survived smallpox, but it didn't mean they didn't need to invent innoculation. What people managed with in the past doesn't mean people should have to do without in a modern era. It's progress, and to restrict a child for the sake of it would be tantamount to lunacy.

Then, you don't even know what content is being shown on the DVD. There are an absolute shed load of extremely high quality eductional DVD's on the market these days, and in a car on a long journey you actually have a learning environment that is very conducive to an educational opportunity too good to miss.

Then there is the fact that the children are less likely to distract the driver, so it's actually, potentially, a safety benefit.

As I said at the beginning of this post, there are a whole range of presumptions in your post and everyone is different. Just because someone choses to purchase something for a child doesn't mean they're spoiling them or neglecting quality parental time elsewhere.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have children?

Who says they sit in front of a DVD/TV all the time at home? You're making the assumption that the DVD player for a car is a substitute for an in-house addiction, and not just to keep a child amused on what can sometimes be long and boring journies, especially if stuck in traffic.

Ours is on rarely. Just on a long journey in fact. No one is saying we have them on all the time. crazy.gif

Furthermore, a few kids survived smallpox, but it didn't mean they didn't need to invent innoculation. What people managed with in the past doesn't mean people should have to do without in a modern era. It's progress, and to restrict a child for the sake of it would be tantamount to lunacy.

Then, you don't even know what content is being shown on the DVD. There are an absolute shed load of extremely high quality eductional DVD's on the market these days, and in a car on a long journey you actually have a learning environment that is very conducive to an educational opportunity too good to miss.

Then there is the fact that the children are less likely to distract the driver, so it's actually, potentially, a safety benefit.

As I said at the beginning of this post, there are a whole range of presumptions in your post and everyone is different. Just because someone choses to purchase something for a child doesn't mean they're spoiling them or neglecting quality parental time elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flippin ell calm down MrMe, I'm asking a few simple questions, and come from a plain and logical stand point and was wondering what the views and opinions of those who did own and used in-car DVD players were.

So, read the post again, and you'll notice I've already mentioned I have a kid.

Also my opinion and perspective about this subject is MADE of pressumption and assumption because I don't know thousands of people who own them personally, hence I ask the question here smashfreakB.gif their not personal attacks or accusations, there is a difference...

I thought the post was quite plain, I love gadgets, I like long journeys, I don't particularly like the idea of my daughter watching TV whilst we travel...and was wondering why others did. Quite simple....as was the answer from LeMan who obviously can read properly and can keep his toys in his pram....