Car Magazine - this month...

Ari

Someone I knew with a c55 amg had it stolen - then got a MKIV R32 instead. Had enough power and was less conspicuous and he didn't care if it got stolen. Lots of fun too apparently even compared to the mercedes - not sure whether that is a given or not though.

The R32/GTI does have a place in that lineup!

In terms of practicality, comfort and usable real world speed.

Just not perhaps in raw thrills - but maybe the gti is better than some luxo-fast-barges like the c55.

The sentiments of the test were understandable but the probable reality was badly explained and as usual for CAR these days (sadly) the content was not great.

I can understand the view of whether you would want say a £50k car with all the good (experience, speed, engineering quality etc) and bad (security, one-d experience etc) that brings or a 90% car like an Ed30 and a Caterham/Atom/Classic etc for the weekend with the different mix that brings. Up the ante to £80-£90k and it gets even more interesting - R8/GT3 or Ed30 and say an Ultima or something similarly daft. I'd be in the latter camp but would imagine that I'm in the minority.

Problem is, CAR didn't even introduce this element, even if that was at least part of the thinking.

Replace the Ed30 with say an S3 or something like a used S4 or a 335i/335d then it definitely gets more interesting in terms of day to day use in the UK.