rumbling from the back wheels

njc851

can anyone help?

very loud rumble fom the back at around 27-30mph, then it disappears as you accelerate (road noise helps hide it too, obviously)

VW changed 1 wheel bearing then told us it needed new brake pads at the front to fully get rid of the racket.

paid them their 250quid, and on the journey home car making exactly the same noise.

cheers!

took it in again, and another tech said it had stepped tyres, needed all 4 replacing.

no chance.

the noise comes from the back, not the front for starters, so they can leave the front tyres out of this.

they did NOT suggest what the problem was that had caused the tyres to become stepped, so it would blatantly happen again.

am loath to get new tyres as an experiment, in case it is something else.

my neighbour!! reckons stepped tyres would squeal on corners, and be ok on a straight road, which doesn't happen.

kwik fit fella thought (on the phone) that tracking wouldn't cure it, and wouold need a full geometric.

Can anybody help? as it's a shitty noise, sounds bad, and whilst am sure its safe, i want it sorting before we get some 18inches on.

cheers in advance, peeps, as once again i've given up on VW

Switch the wheels front to back and see if it comes from the front rather than the back then.

Also when you have the wheel off check theres no stones trapped near the disc.

Also check the suspension bushes when the wheels off see if you can see anything that does not look right.

After refitting the wheel but the car still on the jack (be carefull though) get a hold of the top and bottom of the wheel and rock the wheel gentley in and out alittle and see if you can feel much movement/play or a knocking feeling coming through to your hands. Do the same by holding the wheel at the sides as well.

If you have access to a wheels free ramp you could also spin the wheels while the cars up a height to check they are not buckled. While up a height on a 4post ramp or wheels free check the bushes of the suspension. Best to check on both styles of ramp as one has the car under its own load and the other has no load on them at all.

Get someone to follow you and see if they can see the angle the wheels at and also if theres any odd movment of it.

I had this exact same problem on my old Civic Type R and it was due to the rear tyres being stepped. They dont have to be massively stepped to cause the loud rumbling noise you mention.

The Stepping had been caused by a faulty/misaligned suspension arm which was replaced by honda under warranty, but I did have to buy 2 new tyres.

Once it was aligned correctly I never had the problem again.

i don't mind replacing the tyres, that's fine, but my main concern really is that in 6 months time the same noise is back, and more tyres have been stepped.

VW suggested a full geo, which is 150sheets, and I am hoping that would pick up and repair any problems such as misaligned suspension arms etc.

150 plus 2 new tyres is a big day out if it doesn't fix everything!! Or fixes it but just for a while.

And for the record, its my missus's car, so I will not be coughing to handbrake turning it!!