Recirculating valve

bowie

Hi all, can you here the recirculating valve working on your turbos ? The reason I ask is that on the weekend I took a friend to buy an 05 GTi and when snapping the throttle closed you could hear the valve dumping. On my 06 car, I can't ever recall hearing it do this. Friend who's a VW tech says that mine is ok as it should be silent.

Anyone know ?

Chris.

The recirculating valve doesn't dump air on the 2.0T FSI but recirculates it. Forge make an aftermarket spacer which does nothing more than allow a dump of air and hence the whooshy sound associated with older technology turbos. The 05 GTI you saw may have had an aftermarket spacer fitted.

You only begin to hear the turbo when you fit an aftermarket air intake or larger turbo hoses but it's still not that dumping sound.

When I say 'dump' I mean recirculating it. I was assured the 05 car was standard. I always heard my previous S3s recircing but not on my GTi. I would say my valve maybe shot but with the 1.8t if it was shot you'd hear the turbo stalling (fluttering) but I'm not getting that this time. I'm going to drive another tonight to see how that sounds.

Don't get me wrong here though. I'm not after the atmospheric dump sound, but trying to ascertain whether my valve is shot.

Chris.

....The heat in that thread has got nothing compared to the Vortex thread.

Someone summed it up when they posted that the same boost spike that people have been seeing with the forge DV can be seen on the stock DV also. And that the Forge DV is more robust. Reports are that boost is held longer - I don't have any graphs or scientific evidence to back that up (and I'm not interested in getting any!) but I do know that power comes in just as strongly from 80 up to 120 mph - Whether that is down to the remap, turbo discharge/charge pipes, DV, or combination I really don't know and don't really care. All I know is that it's a joy to drive and extremely responsive.