Who Needs A Stinking Diesel?!

Jack_is_Back

....I'm beginning to wonder if something is either wrong with my mpg display or my actual car - I struggle to see 28 mpg but I do use the gears a lot and I am remapped. I don't cane it everywhere though - Only when appropriate such as overtaking. Okay....I'll admit I quite enjoy roundabouts grin.gif.

I still don't want a stinking diesel.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed - the GTI can achieve MPG in the high 30's easily. Often when on busy A roads you tend to amble along at 50mpg getting amazing mpg.

Start to enjoy the car on an open road and the figure can fall into the 20's - as with mpg if many of your journeys are under 10 miles.

The mods RR has must have an even greater negative impact on mpg when driving enthusiastically - also getting stuck behind tractors and hanging the car in 2nd gear on those Dorset lanes tongue.gifgrin.gif

I think you guys are right, mikemod and T_T, I hadn't really thought about it that way.

Nurmberg to Munich: 90 mph average and 22 mpg and all legal and great fun 169144-ok.gif.

Fun around the twisties and fast overtakes on B-roads: Around 26 mpg usually.

Cruising on dual carriageways: Around 28 mpg.

Consciously reining her in and without enjoyment: Over 30 mpg.

I haven't driven since last Friday so I tend to enjoy it when I do go out.

169144-ok.gif

I average around 35 - 37 during the weekly commute - mostly motorway, so steady 70ish.

Having read this thread last weekend, I decided to see just how high I could get it to go IF I drove like a granny on my weekly shopping trip - 12 miles, 80% of which is (quiet) motorway, but from cold.

The motorway is a mix of 70, 60 and 50mph limited sections. I kept to 50 - 60 all the way through (hard work!), coasted on a couple of downhill sections (I know, but it's an experiment, right?) and generally tried to plan ahead. This was the result (and no Photochopping, honest!).

post-12107-137914406063_thumb.jpg

I am really impressed with that, its amazing to think that the best Ive managed in my audi a3 1.8T is about 420miles to a tank(~50 litres = 11 uk gallons), that works out at about 38 MPG !!!! On average I do about 30MPG, thats with a good mixture of a/b roads on the way to work and motorways on the way home, with some traffic on both routes!

Goes to show the effect the FSI engine technology has on fuel economy in the mkV GTI! All the better for when I finally pick up my brand new one this saturday jump.gif

Can't frggin wait, Im not one to wish time away, but DAMN! its tough being so close yet so far smashfreakB.gif

Just one question are guys using Super unleaded or normal unleaded to acheive these results? Ive heard the FSI system only works at its best when you're using super unleaded (98 RON) ie if I were to use normal unleaded I would be able to get these sorts of figures...

Also if I may ask you guys on your opinion on running in a brand new mkV GTI? Do I need to granny it? Any advice much appreciated.

beerchug.gif all...

[ QUOTE ]

Also if I may ask you guys on your opinion on running in a brand new mkV GTI? Do I need to granny it? Any advice much appreciated.

beerchug.gif all...

[/ QUOTE ]

....Some say rag it from the start because they believe it creates a faster/looser engine, and others say follow the instructions in the handbook.

The TSNer who advocates ragging it is in the motor trade and therefore very experienced. However, he doesn't keep his cars for very long!

My advice is to follow the handbook's advice and run her in progressively over the first 1,000 miles. At 39k miles it hasn't done mine any harm.

Enjoy! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That is truly impressive! bowdown.gif

How much downhill though? wink.gif

Did you rag it on the way back? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to tell how much of a drop there is, but we're talking slight inclines rather than K2 - the car seems to hold speed pretty well on the flat.

And, yes - I did give it some beans on the way back - wouldn't want all those frozen peas defrosting!

[ QUOTE ]

Just one question are guys using Super unleaded or normal unleaded to acheive these results? Ive heard the FSI system only works at its best when you're using super unleaded (98 RON) ie if I were to use normal unleaded I would be able to get these sorts of figures...

[/ QUOTE ]

I always use super unleaded, usually Tesco 99 RON with the occasional BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax. VW recommend 98 RON as a minimum!

Evo mag did a petrol test a while back but it was only performance-related, not economy.

Speaking to someone who knows lots about these engines i was told that you should always run them on 98 super or above.

Basically VW have to make it capable of using 95 fuel and thus have to quote performance based on this fuel.

I was told you should expect a min of 207-213bhp running on super with good performance gains. Apparently this answers why vw have the 0-60 time at 7.2 but all tests average 60 between 6.5-6.7 secs, and why most rolling road in those guidelines. I'm told its the same with the edition30, s3 and cupra, they all push more than quoted.

Also, on super, its more economical, smoother and has less rattle on idle.

On a fuel note, ive used optimax/v power since ive owned it and tried some tesco 99 a few weeks back and my god this stuff is superb. I really believe the torque arrives earlier and it runs much more smoothly when cold 169144-ok.gif