I'm ashamed to say....

Vagabond

I used to be a life guard and the most important person to save is your self there is no good to come in making two casualty's!

Having said that ive been rescued from the water twice in my life, once sailing (got knocked out whilst on a trapeze) and once after going down some rapids upside down in my canoe! I owe my life t the people who saved me on those occasions smile.gif

Fastlad, if what you say is true in respect of having no fears/phobias of water, take it from one who did and overcame those to become a more than competent swimmer.

It comes down simply to the belief and confidence that the human body floats and IT DOES!!!!

What I suggest is (assuming you are not embarrassed by onlookers-but could be achieved by going along to a private club where less people about) get into shallow water; walk in to a depth (say) just under your chin. Deep enough to lift legs up but shallow enough to stand up. Close eyes, hold breath and relax. Some people float horizontally but most float with legs/feet sinking into water. You will float with top of head just above the water. It is then a question of confidence and a little co-ordination to propel yourself forward and slightly upwards to raise mouth high enough to breath. Once you have overcome that, you can contemplate adult improvement lessons if required. znaika.gif

Sorry if this sounds a little patronising but I wish someone had offered me this simple advice years earlier than they did, COS IT WORKS!!!!! 169144-ok.gif

And I managed this with a real fear of water. I love the water now.

Some good advice there guys. Yes £990 is a helluva lot of money but the instructor claims to be 'world class' whatever that means!! I can't bring myself to hand someone that kind of money, i don't care if he's Mark Spitts FFS, he's not getting my dough! smashfreakB.gif

So i'm going to seek out a local swimming instructor and go in the mornings when all the brats are in school sekret.gif

By the way Robin, you've got me sussed, big time! I'll send you an invitation to my wedding, when it happens....The girl is mine!!!!! coffee.gif