A3 2.0 TDI to an S5???

Roswell

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

The trade reckon that really high VED will push down residuals as the prospect of five+ year old cars with £400+ car tax pa means peanut values.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats another excuse to rip us off, offering low PX deals against your V8 as it's........... ices_blah.gifices_blah.gifices_blah.gif

All big engined motors are going to take a big hit regardless. smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The trade reckon that really high VED will push down residuals as the prospect of five+ year old cars with £400+ car tax pa means peanut values.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely "really high VED" does not mean the present less than 200 quid a year difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of opinions. Firstly, the £400 top band tax is only really a pointer to where its going. Will there be an additional top band at £1000 for >275g and when will it stop? Secondly, if you are buying a five year old S4 at £12-15k, then £200 extra pa for road tax might be all it takes to put you mentally into a 3.0tdi instead. I hope that I am wrong on both points but I suspect that I am not.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely "really high VED" does not mean the present less than 200 quid a year difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of opinions. Firstly, the £400 top band tax is only really a pointer to where its going. Will there be an additional top band at £1000 for >275g and when will it stop? Secondly, if you are buying a five year old S4 at £12-15k, then £200 extra pa for road tax might be all it takes to put you mentally into a 3.0tdi instead. I hope that I am wrong on both points but I suspect that I am not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes that the 3.0 TDi mainly appeals to the same type of buyer as an S4, I don't think it does at all.

I have driven an S4 since 1998 (one B5, three B6's). On the B8 I will look at the 3.0tdi unless Audi can pull off a bi-turbo V6 S4 in band F. BMW have essentially done this so there is no reason why Audi cannot....I guess.

Remember also that the S4 has sold in buttons since the RS4 came out. The same will be true of the S5 I guess when the RS5 comes out. I'd love to see what the sales have been of 3.0tdi A4 vs S4 since the B6 S4 came out. Anyone have access to that sort of data?

[ QUOTE ]

This conversation is making is sound like the S5 is only different to the A5 3.0TDI due to the engine.

Aren't there differences to brakes, suspension, trim levels etc etc?

They do seem to be aimed at meeting different requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly my point. Haven't you noticed there aren't any S5 owners on here - just knockers.

You are quite right Scotty. With the B6/B7, I have driven 3.0tdi S Lines' and they are not up to the job viz a viz my S4. All I'm saying is that this time round I will look at the 3.0tdi as financially the game is moving that way. I might hate it and end up in a B8 S4, especially if the latter is a V6 bi-turbo.

FWIW I would not buy any A5 at the moment as I would wait for the adaptive suspension option on the A4 to be released for the A5.

[ QUOTE ]

oh come on im getting put off the S5 at this rate wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't, its just active debate. The S5 looks amazing and until the A5 gets the S Line kit, it won't look a patch on it. Just remember when you sell a manual S5 in three years time, Camerons won't be too keen on it.

[ QUOTE ]

You are quite right Scotty. With the B6/B7, I have driven 3.0tdi S Lines' and they are not up to the job viz a viz my S4. All I'm saying is that this time round I will look at the 3.0tdi as financially the game is moving that way. I might hate it and end up in a B8 S4, especially if the latter is a V6 bi-turbo.

FWIW I would not buy any A5 at the moment as I would wait for the adaptive suspension option on the A4 to be released for the A5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last I heard mag ride was not going to be offered for at least another year. I find the S5 suspension a lot better than the A5 and not far off the mag ride I tried in a TT with 19ins.

Not worth waiting in my view and by that time Cameron will be in. smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

With the B6/B7, I have driven 3.0tdi S Lines' and they are not up to the job viz a viz my S4

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously its a matter of opinion, but if anything the 3.0tdi handles better than the S4 IMO. As for speed difference - cant really tell any. Both are great b-road blasters/overtakers, but neither are true sportscars (too heavy)

RE the S5 - s-line kit will look the same, and the exhausts look crap (as in too discreet) as they dont have as profound a valence around them as say on the B7 S4 cab (which looks great)

[ QUOTE ]

what are you all talking about this Camerons? im confused!

i think the S5 handling will be ok, pulls same G as RS4 i believe or close anyway, ride comfort should be ok but i know it would be better with the magnetic ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that the ride comfort is much better than the RS4 and better than A5 although not quite as good as mag. ride on TT. Does not handle as well as the R32 as its a big beast but haven't explored that too much yet.

[ QUOTE ]

i think the S5 susp would be fine for me and doubt i would spend the extra £1k even if it was an option.

as for 3.0tdi vs v8. if im honest if they did the S5 with the 3.0tdi i would have gone for it. that said, petrol S5 is the winner so far smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know when you're thinking of changing but lead times are getting longer by the week? New order delivery is now June 08.

[ QUOTE ]

im thinking of around december. will maybe go for used one depending on colour and spec.

has to have certain extras tho smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you'll find they are very close to new price, such is the supply / demand situation. You may get a 6 month old demo to your spec with 8-10k on the clock. I know which one I'd choose.