OEM rear LED's for Mk5....

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....For a RHD UK Mk5 you don't need to "recode" anything. You just swop the fog & reverse lenses (smaller and internal lenses) WITHIN the new LED units. The lines with plugs are already present.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're getting confused now grin.gif

What I meant was;

* I can't be bothered to rip apart brand new LED units

* So my plan was to recode the rear lights to Left Hand Drive settings. Therefore if I had my RHD rear lights still on the car my fog would be my reverse light and vice-versa.

* However, when I put my new LHD LED lights in all would be sound (well, apart from Mr Plod might not like it. But when would they ever twig tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but I thought it was a legal requirement for cars with a single fog lamp for it to be positioned on the offside of the vehicle on RHD cars. Reprograming via VAGCOM would obviously make the lights function correctly but you would have a potential MOT failure. RR's solution of swapping the internals of the new lamps is the only option I think 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

However, when I put my new LHD LED lights in all would be sound (well, apart from Mr Plod might not like it. But when would they ever twig tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm...are you saying you'd be quite happy driving along in thick fog with your rear fog light on on the wrong side ? confused.gif

and surely Mr MOT man and Mr Insurance man will not like that either confused.gif

surely better to spend half an hour doing what RR suggests 169144-ok.gif

....Ah, thanks for clarifying 169144-ok.gif - I was beginning to find it frustrating that I couldn't manage to explain to people how easy it can be.

Re 'Mr Plod' not liking it: If you get stopped for it, even if unlikely, you'd have to plead ignorance to stop getting the book thrown at you as it is actually illegal to have your rear fog on the wrong side IIRC. Also, one day your car would fail its MOT for it.

It's up to you of course, but it's quite a simple job according to Neo to swop the inner fog/reverse lenses.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

In that process i seemed to confuse NelsonA3sline by saying there was not one listed, When what i ment to say was there was not a RHD one listed. Even though i posted the screen shot of the ETKA page with the LHD version listed but not a RHD one. I think i just confused myself now. yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think you've been staring at these for too long grin.gif

1284640-LED_OEM.jpg

.........................BLING!!?

post-10081-137914411292_thumb.jpg

Hello, been reading up on this post and i am too interested in these LED taillights for my mk5 r32.

I quite like the taillights even though they are a bit bling. However i was thinking of just applying the outer taillights and leaving the inner ones the same.

I have seen a picture of this done and it looks not bad, unfortunately cant seem to locate that picture anymore.

What are ure opinions on this idea? And this will leave the hassle of swapping the fog light lense over wouldnt it?

Okay guys, here we go....

Label on the new LED unit - Made for VW by Valeo in Poland. Here's the indisputable evidence:

LED_part.jpg

There was an accident repair happening on a Mk5 Golf TDI while I was there. This is how easy the plug connections are:

LED_Golfplug.jpg

Here's my GTI with standard rear lights and fairly dirty. I lightly cleaned the boot lid area only for the sake of the guy working on it:

LED_Before.jpg

And here's the finished installation but the guys had cleaned the whole car for me without being asked!

LED_After.jpg

No dremelling was needed and the lens swop over was easy I'm told. All nicely aligned and cost just under £30 including vat. Chatting to a friend who works at my VW dealer afterwards, he reckons that the 09 Golf builds will get these LED's.

Not really as bling as they sometimes look in photos but they are bright and look smart and very up to date imo.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hello, been reading up on this post and i am too interested in these LED taillights for my mk5 r32.

I quite like the taillights even though they are a bit bling. However i was thinking of just applying the outer taillights and leaving the inner ones the same.

I have seen a picture of this done and it looks not bad, unfortunately cant seem to locate that picture anymore.

What are ure opinions on this idea? And this will leave the hassle of swapping the fog light lense over wouldnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Hi zeesh - In my opinion I think that mixing the lights as you suggest won't look right at all. The expected hassle just wasn't any hassle at all. It was an easy swop around. I think that Neo's GTI, was different because of being an early build.

They look very good RR. I think they make the car look more up to date. 169144-ok.gif Thanks for sharing those pics

Every time I see a pic of the rear of your car, I think it could look good if the indented part of the lower rear bumper had a black insert / honeycombe or similar (carbon.. UHOH7.GIF) grin.gif If I was clever enough, I would do a photochop to experiment.

[ QUOTE ]

They look very good RR. I think they make the car look more up to date. 169144-ok.gif Thanks for sharing those pics

[/ QUOTE ]

....My pleasure - That's partly why I'm here, to share, network, and also gain info for myself. Of course, I hate the TSN meets, especially with the BIALI boys! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Every time I see a pic of the rear of your car, I think it could look good if the indented part of the lower rear bumper had a black insert / honeycombe or similar (carbon.. UHOH7.GIF) grin.gif If I was clever enough, I would do a photochop to experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm sure that BIALI Motorsport could oblige and cut me a strip of carbon. Afterall, I've spent enough at the BIALI Grand Plaza in Haywards Heath this month! grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Get the daughter to ping the brake lights, and FFS lets see the full dusk, day, night look with the things ON.

It's like looking at a pron star with clothes on- (there's not much happening / no point).

Thank you grin.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Robin has brought up his daughter better than to ping her brake lights on a public forum. EEK2.GIFtongue.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....Rather than paint that slot, T_T, I'd prefer to change my rear valance to this style:

attachment-1.jpg

It wasn't available when I did mine. I still have my original plastic valance (well, the workshop does) and so would only need to buy the OSIR carbon section.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....Rather than paint that slot, T_T, I'd prefer to change my rear valance to this style:

attachment-1.jpg

It wasn't available when I did mine. I still have my original plastic valance (well, the workshop does) and so would only need to buy the OSIR carbon section.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's probably the nicest rear valance i've seen. That would look great on your car - tastfully intoducing some carbon fibre to the rear end. Tempted?? wink.gifsmile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think that's probably the nicest rear valance i've seen. That would look great on your car - tastefully introducing some carbon fibre to the rear end. Tempted?? wink.gifsmile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Tempted?? - Of course!!!! the_finger.gif

Especially if I do as already planned and change my boot VW badge to carbonfibre to match the front badge. The OSIR rear valance would be easier to clean and also the exhaust ends would be easier to clean too (says he, desperate for absolutely any justification he can find!). The workshop could pre-paint the upper red section - They did my existing rear valance and my carbonfibre bonnet to an excellent paint match and finish, and also cheaper than other quotes I had.

Unexpectedly I reckon that the OSIR carbon valance would work well aesthetically with the new LED's.

I had already decided to make a phone call tomorrow before you posted, T_T. 169144-ok.gif