Which lead?

LeeST

Hi,

I was going to buy a vag com lead off ebay and use the shareware software, i only need it to get fault codes so i dont need the full functioning version. I'm a little confused which one to get, can someone help?

Mine is a 2001 A4 (B6). thanks in advance

The B6 doesn't use CAN for diagnostics (the B7 does) so you only need a dual-K lead if all you want to use is the shareware version of VAG-COM.

Get a serial or USB version depending on your laptop - USB would be most future proof, but only if your laptop has a USB port (serial to USB converters often dont' work with VAG-COM).

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone confirm if this lead will work on an 8P S3?

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=VAGCOM

Or do I need this one?

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merch...ategory_Code=IC

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The first lead definitely will NOT work on an 8P A3.

You need any lead that supports CAN since the 8P A3 has only CAN diagnostics.

That means a micro-CAN, a HEX-COM+CAN or a HEX-USB+CAN.

If you go for a micro-CAN then you canot use the lead on cars that have a mixture of serial and CAN diagnostics - like a B7 A4, so the HEX-COM+CAN or HEX-USB+CAN is the better choice. Which of those depends on your laptop - if you only have USB ports then the HEX-USB+CAN is the only sensible choice, but if you have a laptop that has a serial port then the HEX-COM+CAN is cheaper (but might be no use when you change your laptop since newer laptops do not have serial ports.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Well I only want it for my S3 and Leon 2.0T. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The micro-CAN would be OK for the S3, but not for the Leon - so go for the HEX-USB+CAN.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mk2 Leon should be compatible with the Micro Can lead surely? It's based on the Mk5 Golf and Audi 8P chassis after all, and Ross Tech say it's compatible. Link.

[ QUOTE ]

The Mk2 Leon should be compatible with the Micro Can lead surely? It's based on the Mk5 Golf and Audi 8P chassis after all, and Ross Tech say it's compatible. Link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Leon 2.0T he's talking about a Mk1 or a Mk2?

If it's a Mk2 then you're correct (any car based on the Golf MK5 platform can use the micro-CAN).