Just where are we heading?

Golfer

I am sick of all these speed cameras going up every where, soon there will be NO ROADS free of them, and that means by by to a car with any go at all.

I have wasted soooo much money enjoying very quick cars over the years, I have now decided to quit them once and for all :eek:.

It just is no fun running high performance cars at little more that "Tick-over speeds for 99% of my driving, the other 1% being a "Quick blast and hope":cool:

I do not get to run the autobans and even they are soon to be more restricted.

Just what can if anything; could we do to reverse this trend?

Your thoughts.

Just what can we do...if anything to reverse it?

Hmm... it depends - does it have to be legal? :- )

I think partly we are lucky because real extremists are picking out loop holes in the system - was it not only a little while back something came up to say cameras was actually illegal and not signed off or something?

Part of the problem (potentially) is the govt and WHO it has in its box... and no offence here but most of them are old and out of date!

Those out of date people sitting there on their green sofas on TV nodding their head next to one person who is yawning and the other who is snoring are no good for things like cameras or the silly legalities of the system

I am all up for cameras and even sleeping policemen near schools for instance - I have a school round the corner and there are nutcases behind the wheel - slight mistake no matter how careful (at high speed) can be fatal- dont care about the driver but the kids around the school I do (even if they are damn annoying in the playground on a day off at home!)

The UK needs lessons from even neighbouring countries - I drive to Hungary a lot going through France, Germany (auto bahn), Swiss alps, Austria etc - their roads are amazing - smooth, no potholes every 30cm you go and I found their cameras were in good places - real fatal spots where you are bound to see flowers stuck on the side.

Their roads are wide yet still keep enough greenery to make the environmentalists quiet

Sure you still have those few who will still go for it and kill themselves because they were drunk or whatever but the roads there are great, safe and most importantly, people are moving!

Back to the Q? Get rid of the oldies, employ the young un's, scrap money, and start afresh :- )

But on a serious note, they really need to sit down and learn from other countries and stop thinking they are the only ones in this world!

Rant Over :- )

Its the way that its going and its worse for those of you in the south. The majority of people are dis-interested in the thrill of driving and getting corning lines just right etc - just look at how many times you get flashed for overtaking cars in a safe fashion. Personally for my next car I will buy it on handling ability rather than acceleration.

I have a performance daily driver, but enjoy hiring weekend cars on a quarterly basis with a mate. We hire such marques as Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston's etc. Works out pretty economic between 2 drivers and the pleasure far outweighs the financial implications. In fact, the buzz is so immense that we're now considering joining a supercar club :) Either that or get a track car - thing is, I have nowhere to keerp one and would rather super/hyper car-it-up 3-4 times a year +++

Sometimes I do wonder if we can do anything at all.:(

I genuinely do despair - double:(

At times it seems like we are generally drifting towards some kind of puritannical tyranny on the face of things (but with a cesspool of hypocrisy, nastiness and stupidity just below the mask). The aim seems to be to drag everything down to the lowest common denominator in every aspect of life & the worrying part is that the idiots are winning.

This isn't just restricted to the motoring arena, in fact I struggle to think of an aspect of life that isn't suffering at the moment.

I've always loved cars but I'm really getting to the stage where I hate my daily commute with a passion and have very little time for the roads at any other time either - not good when you're doing 20k + a year. Just like other people it seems, from what I'm reading above.

Until there is a general attitude change in the UK and a revised mindset (where it isn't just a case of blaming the easy option, regardless), I just don't think the invisible majority will take anything in other than the propaganda of certain elements of current society.

It probably needs something pretty drastic like making the IAM/ROSPA std the basic level for a licence, giving everyone 3-5 years to get there and then banning anyone who hasn't managed it (not that that would work, I suppose). I just don't see how else things might change for the sensible better to any noticeable degree.

Me - I'd like to get something like an Elise & would have one tomorrow if I could get in & out of the thing, but the only other alternative is to buy a little diesel and switch off to what life has to offer - just like the majority of people I see every morning:rolleyes::ffs:

Edited by D1MAC

Its a very sorry state of affairs. :(

What the contry needs is for everyone to stand up and be counted but theres far too much apathy now.

I suppose that begs the question why is there apathy?

Dunno, don't really care.:)

Too many worries to focus on a specific one?

Those who might act to change things work all hours at the moment?

Fear of being considered a Victor Meldrew or a 'Daily Heil' man/woman?

Criminalisation of the middle classes for any sign of dissent?

I suppose even the destruction of the unions doesn't help any as few are versed in dispute these days!

Perhaps the biggest is that there is no great democratic way to change things these days. Even if you want to, you can't achieve anything that amounts to change within a party structure as you would be kicked out post haste for any deviation from the ass-kissing line. However, as an independent, you're more or less powerless.

We think we are an advanced free nation and yet have an unelected leader who even if he had stood and won the same number of votes, would only have had around 25 - 30% support among the electorate:rolleyes:

Roll on 2010+++

I got it...I got it!

Why did no one think of this earlier?

Remove all Nissan Micras and its drivers from the roads

That will sort 90% of road-rage related accidents, accidents as a whole because people will no longer tailgate, overtake, undertake, try to jump over the micra etc etc

Govt, then can concentrate on just filling the potholes in, and removing the cameras!

I normally walk to work, but feck it, took the car this morning, out the village, up the hill, right, and a 3 mile blast on a twisty deserted b road. (This is in the East Mids by the way, not rural Scotland). The roads are there if you look for 'em ! :)

Also, despite having the 330, I still believe less is more. To the OP, power does not always equate to fun on UK roads, it's the sensation of speed that thrills. Something basic, light and cheap to run is one answer. Thats why I'll be spannering my ancient MX-5 today in preparation for the spring. :eclipse:

Keep the faith Tyresmokers, driving fun is out there. +++

This is one of the reasons I decided not to progress with the GT-R. You get slightly fruity on the loud pedal and bang there goes your license.

I'm not doing anywhere near the miles I have previously but I still see the standard on the roads as bad and nothing to do with speed. Mototring is fast becoming like smoking.

I have no idea what can be done though. As someone said, the scum don't care and do what they want as they are unlikely to get caught and if they do jail or a fine (they won't pay) holds little fear for them. The rich don't care as they have the money and power to get away with most things. It's those of us in the middle who suffer, people who have worked for a living to get a better standard for ourselves and our families taxed for earning, taxed for spending.

Christ, I sound like a Daily Wail reader...

The sad truth is this government are supporting/helping the skint minority (IMO) over the hard working majority:mad:

Bringing the majority DOWN to the skint levels.

Savers are being hammered :(

I am no economist but for the hell of me can't see lowering interest rates to this level doing anything but harm.

They are trying to encourage MORE spending on a population without jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ffs:

Sorry I am at a loss.

I am no economist but for the hell of me can't see lowering interest rates to this level doing anything but harm.

I sort of am from an educational perspective (i.e. when I bothered to listen or indeed turn up to lectures) and I can assure you that you don't have to be an economist to know this ain't the brightest of ideas.

The economic theory might be sort of sound but reality is a big bag of ferrets by comparison.

If you get lucky and it works then fine. If you don't then be very afraid as the outcome moves well beyond the economic sphere and well into squeaky bum territory.