How long to build an LMP1 car

Cagey

Don't know if anyone here takes an interest in the American Le Mans Series, but last weekend was 'Petit Le Mans' and during Thursday practice Scott Sharp, in a P1 Acura clipped a Porsche that was exiting the pits and had a massive shunt as a result, damaging the car (tub included) beyond repair.

crash :eek:

Fortunately for the team, a spare tub was available, and they managed to get a brand new car built from scratch in less than 24 hours. Bearing in mind that when they built the car at the start of the year, it was in the workshop (from memory) for near 2 weeks, that is a massive achievment.

+++

Bet the driver was politely asked not to stack it before he went back out on track...

And the car came 6th in the race! Truly impressive stuff!! :notworthy:

That's if you can call it a race - umpteen full course yellows and eventually red flagged after just four hours thanks to freak weather. How very disappointing; this was the most eagerly anticipated PLM for years and I don't know who I feel the most sorry for - the spectators, the organisers or the drivers (especially McNish who was the moral 'victor'). :(

Had friends at the race who saw the shunt nearly right in front of them. Scary/Crazy.

Yeah, they had rivers running across the track and, in light of some other incidents at Road Atlanta, erred on the side of caution, notwithstanding McNish's claim that they should have ended it 4-5 laps earlier.

As soon as they called it (there apparently was a huge row about it over the radio, ALMS Pres Atherton had to be called (to make the decision maybe?)), my race buddies headed for the nearest available hotel bar.

That crew will be at Le Mans next year, supposedly around Maison Blanc. Trying to shake free myself to make it...

...but GP du Canada (Montreal) is scheduled that weekend, too.