The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

Soulboy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being T-total i dont have the alcohol aspect to worry about but i too am looking to sort out my fitness. Im not that bad in the weight dept but have definitely gone downhill since getting married 5 years ago.

While channel hopping at 2am a couple of weeks back i stumbled across some fitness program being advertised on one of those sales channels. As opposed to trying to sell a new fitness machine gimmick they were selling a work out program that if followed correctly will transform you in 2 months. Now i wouldnt be able to commit to this full time but i did like the look of it and liked the fact you need no weights etc and can be done in front of the TV.

Insanity Workout - Insanity Fitness Training Will Push You Past Your Limits

Amazon has had nothing but good user reviews of it too which is promising.

Now i aint done any consistent exercise in about 3 years and so am totally unfit and as such i decided to try one of the wifes work out vid a couple of days back by some woman called Jillian Michaels and i swear i couldn't last half the session!

Needless to say my backside is in pain now along the hamstring area and my stomach! Will be attacking it again tonight and will continue every other day untill i can do it everyday before getting that beach body program.

My main issue with Gym's is finding someone to go with as i have tried to go on my own in the past and it doesnt work so hopefully this home fitness program might be the answer for now.

Fizz, I posted this in the Diet and Exercise thread ages ago - might help. The key to losing weight is to increase your metabolism, and make sure your quality calories in are less than your calories burnt. You also don't need a training buddy - you need focus, determination and the ability to say no to yourself when you think "it'll be OK if I just have one of these". It's not and it won't be. Follow Sam's example - he's done amazingly well.

OK, a pre-qualifier - I'm 6'1", 91KG (just over 200lb, or 14 st 4lb in old money) and currently 12.5% body fat. I can get lower, but it becomes a real PITA for me. Most blokes are 20-30%. Models on fitness magazines etc are normally 5-7%. There's a BIG difference. Some people think I'm obsessed by fitness - I probably am, but I get a big high after most things I do, whether it's climbing mountains, doing big mountain bike trails, running, spinning for an hour, in the gym or whatever. I like endorphins

Some simple answers to a lot of what's been posted.

SORT YOUR DIET THE F*CK OUT! - and no, I don't mean start following some fad "diet" - I mean sort out what you eat, how you eat it and when. You need to look at the mix of carbs, protein and fibre. And with carbs, you need to look at which ones you're eating. Simple carbs, like sugar, aren't good for you - complex carbs, like sweet potatoes, oats (for porridge) are.

Think logically about how much you're consuming - if you're eating 2,500 calories a day, but only using 2,000, then you can guess what'll happen.

Don't eat after 7pm.

Back off the alcohol - completely if you can. I very rarely drink these days - not because I can't, because I don't want to.

Don't try and do too much at once - if you go balls out into an exercise routine, you'll get frustrated after a few weeks or months when you see minimal results - so plan around it.

Exercise first thing in the morning if you can - your body will dig into it's fat reserves, because it's got no "easy energy" to chase. If you eat and then exercise, the exercise will have minimal effect on weight loss, because your body will naturally go after the easy energy, not the stuff you've got in reserve, i.e. stored fat.

Eat little and often - most people have a big meal in the evening - try not to. Have a decent breakfast after exercise - with some complex carbs, like porridge. Try and stick to skimmed milk if you can. As a rule, I eat at least 6 times a day - 7:30, 10:00, 12:30, 15:30, 18:00-19:00.

Drink water - quite a bit. It depends on your body type, but a least 2 litres a day.

Don't stop stuff you enjoy, like coffee - just try to cut back on it. Same goes for alcohol. If you keep drinking at least 4 pints a night, you're not going to lose weight. My brother-in-law does, but he's a fell-runner and does at least 8 miles a day, even during the week. No, I don't get it either...

Set yourself a goal. If you're 14 stone now and you want to be 13 stone - decide how long you realistically want to give yourself to get there and then measure yourself on it.

Please don't be fooled that doing 100s of sit-ups, crunches etc is going to get you a six pack that you can see. You can have the best abs routine going and still see no results, because of the fat that's sat on your belly. For blokes, it's the first place it gets stored, then on your hips, so, once you've got your body fat percentage down, your abs are normally the last things you'll see results from. You will have done all the work in the preceeding weeks or months, but until the fat's gone, you won't see them.

If you want to bulk up, the protein is your friend, but don't get obsessed by powders and feck knows what else. Chicken and fish are among the best sources of protein. A general rule if you're building is that you need 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight.

Again, if you're wanting to put on muscle weight, try to work each muscle set once a week, especially if you're going heavy. Smaller muscle groups, like your biceps, triceps and shoulders should only be once a week.

Make sure you do more than what four blokes at my gym do - which is only ever doing chest, shoulders and bicep curls - five days a week, that's all they do - they never work their legs (which are like pins), they've got hunched shoulders and look pretty effing stupid. Think about it logically - you need to work the opposite muscles to keep your whole body in balance - so if you do a chest routine, make sure you do a back routine. If you do a bicep routine, make sure you do a tricep routine etc. And don't forget your legs!

Holy crap I could write a book on this stuff... :D

Cheers for that, straight forward logical advice with regards to small but regular intake of food and the right types of foods. Just need to get in the right mind set and start think about what i am actually eating along side starting to do regular exercise. +++

Will also look at Sams fitness project too as its always good to see people get to where they want to be with some hard work! :)

Just need to get in the right mind set and start think about what i am actually eating along side starting to do regular exercise. +++

Its ok fizzbitt. You have got a whole 10 days to get your mindset and targets sorted

:grin:

Remember to post up whatever it is you decide upon. The TSN guilt factor will act as your gym buddy.

Its ok fizzbitt. You have got a whole 10 days to get your mindset and targets sorted

:grin:

Remember to post up whatever it is you decide upon. The TSN guilt factor will act as your gym buddy.

Well im just preparing my body for the onslaught of regular exercise (fitness vids) because if i start on the 15 with no pre warm up i will die instantly as i have done already this week! lol

I can only get through about 1/2 of a 45min fitness vid that my wife manages to do fully! (well she used to and needs to get back into it) On Sunday i did about 10/15 min of it before calling it a day and my butt/hamstring/abs only just stopped hurting yesterday so i did it again and this time managed to get through about 15/20 min of it before having to stop.

Again my body is aching today but not as much so will do it again tomorrow. Hopefully in 5 days time i should be able to get through most of the vid! :P

Why not.... Ill join in! May actually help me commit to doing something +++

Aims being fat loss (not particularly over-weight, just need to shave a few pounds off!) and fitness.... 5 a side, cycling, bag work and that insanity workouts are gonna be my methods! Ill sort out a weigh-in and body fat % when i can!

No more light weights allowed! This thread already has too many not really overweight people in it. I'm off to start my own "I'm a fat fecker and want to lose weight with other fat feckers so I don't feel inferior" thread.

:bike:

So I shouldn't say that I'm 0.1kg from my target and 12% body fat :P

I've got a Salter one which you put in your height, build, male/female etc then it weighs you, gives BMI, body fat etc. Can't recall how much I paid for it a couple of years ago £35 or so I think. I don't put it on the fancy settings now-a-days it's depressing enough just seeing the weight!

Ive got some of those body fat scales, but not used them till today. They were £15 in Sainsburys sale last January!

Anyway, I have set them up and done readings ready for official start tmrw.

Suggest this format for whatever we all want to achieve (it doesnt have to be weight / bmi etc.....anything applicable).

Just keep it simple+++:

CURRENT / TARGET

weight: 85.3k / 80k

BMI: 27% / 25%

Body fat: 28.4% / 23%

HOW

1. More trips to gym and a lot more sparring (target min 3 times per week).

2. Extending sparring rounds using round timer on phone.

2. Alcohol. Drink less frequently and consume less on drinking nights

3. Replace crap snacks with healthy snacks (nuts/fruit etc instead of crisps, biscuits etc). Already stocked up on those +++

NOTES TO SELF!

Dont let it slip dickhead!

Become the best you have ever been....you old ba5tard!

Edited by Soulboy

I'll be tracking waist measurement, BMI etc but won't be putting a target on them because I don't really know what effect my regime will have on them (apart from hopefully improving!). So I'll keep it simple with targets - weight loss (overall and interim targets) and average steps per day (as in walking steps, not gym steps! - will be wearing a pedometer all day).

That reminds me, need to get a pedometer with a working attachment type thing, I broke the clip on the one I have ... I don't suppose they work that well if you just put them in you pocket?!