The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

Soulboy

Well done, Garcon - looks like quite a Target !!

Setting the target is the easy bit... :uhoh:

Can I suggest quietly to a few of you before you take on an aggressive weight loss/change of life feat, that you check into your G.P. and maybe get some vitals measured ? As a word of caution, if you've not had a particularly active lifestyle and/or a fatty diet for a good 20 years or so, a sudden change can be dangerous unless Medically supported ? I say this purely as a caution - I've seen two former work colleagues come to grief when they tried to move the weight loss process too fast and without the "right" supervision. +++

Very wise advice indeed. I haven't arranged it yet but we can get an annual health check through work health insurance, so I'll be doing that and I think also checking in with my GP before I embark on anything too drastic. Small changes are the way to start with.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I never really understood how such an arbitrary factor of weight and height became gospel. I may as well keep a track, but I won't be putting a target on it. If I follow the NHS chart I'd need to lose nearly a third of my body weight to get to merely "overwieght". :P

Replaced my scales this morning - same result. So either my body fat % etc are currently beyond the scale it can cope with or I need to scrape a few layers of dead skin off the soles of my feet... :uhoh:

Ok as of Wednesday morning I am:

Weight 13 stone 12lbs

Body fat % 20%

By the end of the year I want to be:

Weight 12 stone 12 lbs (bang on the top end of normal bmi not that it's a useful measure)

Body fat 15-18%

So that's a 14 lb loss in 3 months which given the rate I've lost so far should be possible.

I am increasing my running to 5 times a week (covering between 25 and 30 miles) and doing a strength programme in the gym twice a week as well as swimming approx a mile per week. Diet wise I am sticking broadly with the low gi approach that has worked so well for me so far, but with the twist that I stopped eating meat (not fish though) 2 weeks ago.

Makes interesting reading, this thread.

I'm 6'3", 13st 7lb as of this morning, relatively fit and scarily, I'm approaching my 41st birthday so not doing too bad, all things considered.

Therefore I intend to change nothing (although I should maybe consider cutting down on the wine a bit :uhoh:) and will watch this thread from the sidelines :)

Interestingly, I've worked out I have around 33-36 pieces of fruit a week, not including grapes, strawberries and other snacky fruits. I feel lethargic if I don't get my fruit.

A healthy diet works well for me; if you can prepare your own food so control exactly what goes into it, you can still eat well but be considerably better off than if you live of pre-prepared stuff.

We never buy ready meals, I make loads of soups from nothing other than veg and stock and this year, have had very few jars of sauces (pasta and curry) as with a little bit of time, you can make your own which are a helluva lot healthier and just as nice. I appreciate not everyone has the time so it's not always an option. Though things like pasta/curry sauces and soup can be made in bulk and frozen.

Good luck to everyone who's looking to make some changes +++

Edited by Milo

Aye, soup's great and we're getting towards the time of year it's more enjoyable to eat it.

I do a mean carrot and coriander soup and a very nice sweet pepper soup.

Don't tell mook but I always add a little bit of cream to it though, makes it look better and even a small amount transforms the taste. And it is only a small amount, adds a couple of grams of fat to a portion but when that fills you up at lunch time it's worth it. Yom yom.

Now you're making me think a 'bit' of wine would be fine tonight :grin:

Who picked a Thursday to start this thing? I can't really drink over the weekend as it will feel like i'm cheating myself. If we'd started on monday and i'd lost a few pounds by Friday i'd have felt happy having a small treat.

You can have a drink, but you have to run to that pub 5 miles away and run back again :grin: Knowing you have to run back again might stop you having that 6th one too +++

I've not had a great week this week. I ran ten miles on Sunday and fooked my calves so could hardly walk Monday and Tuesday let alone think about running. Then I've been lazy the past two days.

I must run tonight

I must run tonight

I must run tonight

I have given up alcohol for the last month apart from one day off (or on) and, although I haven't weighed myself, my waist measurement is at least an inch less, judged by belt notches. Amazing how many calories are artfully concealed in booze.

Unfortunately, the in-laws arrived yesterday for a visit so I will now be drinking heavily...

I'm not sure there is much in it but I thought white wine was slightly less calorific than red? However, both are obviously lower than beer.

I'd be tempted to join the group as I need to lose a few pounds but we don't have any scales.

But the arm muscles aren't a big muscle group so he won't be losing many calories that way...

:bike:

If hungry drink a glass of water, doesn't make you want to stop eating but there's a chance you'll want to eat less.

It's the lack of snacking that's driving me up the wall. I got in from work last night, opened the cupboard, crisps, biscuits, turkish delight... avoided it all and snacked on a couple of slices of ham and some tuna. I guess that's the best thing if hungry?! Could have had an apple I guess... hmm...

Is it lunch time yet?

I'm amazed at how much fruit I eat now. I never used to eat any, but over the last six months slowly I've picked up a banana in the morning after breakfast and grabbed an apple first after dinner where before I'd go straight for a yoghurt or chocolate for some dessert. Now I have three pieces a day, minimum. It must stop me from eating some other snacky stuff.

I had a home cooked lasagne :)

However, I did have a portion about half the size I normally have and a pile of rocket leaves on the side.

And i've just been out on the exercise bike, managed a whopping 16 minutes :roflmao: still it's a minute more than thursday night.