Boxing thread

Soulboy

24 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

AJ by TKO or KO, by round 7.

My money would be on AJ stopping Vlad but after 5 or 6 rounds things could get very interesting. I would love to see what AJ looks like in rounds 9 and 10. I have a sneaky suspicion he would be a gassed out mess. So much muscle mass with no history of long fights. Awful combination if you ask me. 

It's the age old argument with fighters of his type and I don't disagree with the general 'doubt'.

However, I'm not convinced he'll be a gassed out mess.  Tired, yes, but not knackered.  He's very young and very fit, and he's not looked even remotely tired when he's gone 6 rounds so far.

Plus, Klitschko is no spring chicken and there is the obvious flaw of his chin.  If Joshua connects, I think it'll be over very quickly.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

My 2p worth. 

........Spoilers..........

AJ looked as calm as a cucumber before the first bell but was tight and nervous as soon as the bell sounded and the fight began. Fair enough given the occasion and Wlads pedigree. 

Klitschko on the other hand started relaxed and moving better than he has done for years. Wlad took the majority of the early rounds. 

Round 5. 

AJ decided it was time to go to work and came out throwing from the start. Wlad struggled with the change in tempo and looked in trouble straight away. AJ managed to put a few shots together for the first time in the fight. Klitschko was tagged with a few big shots and was knocked down. He made it back to his feet but looks there for the taking. Somehow he rides the storm and the rest of the round suddenly takes a twist. Having upped the work rate AJ has gassed badly, add to that Wlad tagged him with a decent shot and AJ ends the round looking troubled.

Round 6.

All the worries about AJ carrying too much mass are starting to come true. He looks a spent force when he should be in the ascendancy. Wlads experience tells him it's time to go to work and he catches AJ hard and often. It's AJ's turn to eat the canvas with a pretty heavy knockdown. I don't mind admitting that this is where I called it wrong. I thought it was all over as AJ stumbled to his feet. I thought Klitschko would go for the finish and AJ was a sitting duck. Maybe Wlad was still weary of the power of his opponent or maybe Father Time had caught up and he had nothing left. Either way AJ made it to the end of the round and found safety in his corner as the bell sounded.

The next few rounds saw Klitschko dominate the fight behind his jab. It appeared that Joshua was a spent force and was losing rounds, not by much but he was losing them non the less. 

Round 11  

Vlads lack of ruthlessness came back to bite him. AJ was given the chance to rest for 3 rounds and by this time he had found a second wind. Just like round 5 he came out swinging. Just like it was in round 5, Wlad couldn't cope with the upped tempo or the power of the onslaught. Klitschko had to soak up a couple of heavy shots but it was a ferocious right uppercut that knocked the stuffing out of him. The knockdown followed a few seconds later but that was scruffy, the uppercut had earlier done the damage.Once again Wlad made it to his feet but this time AJ still had more in the tank and quickly had Klitschko on the floor again with some much cleaner shots. Hats off to to the Ukrainian as he made it to his feet one last time. I thought the ref was going to wave it off but he allowed the action to continue.

The finish was scrappy and not too many clean shots were landed but I think the amount of pressure exerted by AJ forced the ref to step in. Fair enough as I think another knockdown was coming but some will argue it was a touch early.

Good fight (as much as Heavyweight fights can be) and two very brave men. Hats off to Wlad, his best performance for almost a decade and showed all the heart missing from recent fights.

Big question marks remain for me over AJ's stamina. 45 seconds of throwing shots shouldn't gas you out as badly as what happened in round 5 and a younger opponent may have taken advantage. Klitschko has already said this was where he lost the fight and he should have gone for the finish at this point. What i can't question is AJ's heart , to get up off the floor and hang in there for 3 rounds rebuilding and recovering showed a lot of determination. When that second wind came he was devastating and no one would have lived with him.

I would love to see Joshua drop the best part of a stone in weight. He is a fine specimen of a man but he is a boxer not a body builder. Some of that muscle mass is not needed in the ring. Wlad is in great shape but has muscle where it matters.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I agree, I think this is one of the toughest to call in a long time.

GGG eventually took Brook apart with the sheer power of his punches but Brook troubled him beforehand - and Canelo packs a far bigger punch than Brook.

Both can take punches, both can trade blows endlessly.

I see Canelo as having the far better boxing skills though and something tells me he may win this one on points.

Would I bet on it?   No chance. :roflmao:

I like both of them....but wa my Canello.

GGG didn't look quite as good in his last fight imo. Canello is consistently good. 

Both class boxers - whom I admire greatly. So hopefully a good fight ......best man wins...... and most importantly no injuries. 

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive my laziness, I copied a post I made a few weeks back on a different forum.

The fight itself is funny and has more in common with WWE than professional fighting. However it's not as funny as the fans on either side getting hot under the collar about something that is as staged as a West End production. 

The fight will follow an agreed script of that I have no doubt. 

Mayweather will out box him for 7-9 rounds at which point a flair up with occur. Shortly after CM will take FM off his feet and take him to the ground (possibly getting a few shots in ground and pound style). The ref will wave it off at this point. 

Mayweather fans will be happy because FM outboxed CM for the agreed amount of rounds. CM fans will be happy because 'CM takes no s4it and took Floyd down'. Both avoid defeat (bizarre because CM should be dq'd) and the possibility of a rematch will remain. Along with another mega pay day. 

Yawn...

McG is going to have to be exceptional to land much leather on Mayweather. 

Even though I know very little abbot him - I can't see how he will succeed when so many great boxers have failed. 

But.....that was the Mayweather of old. Is he still the same standard??

I have watched plenty of McGregor's fights.  What bemuses me is that much of the talk makes it sound like this is one undefeated great against another.  

It isn't.  He has had 3 defeats and the submissions have all come after he has been made extremely weak on his legs by a flurry of punches.

If anything doesn't bode well, it is that.

The question about FMJ and whether he can come back after 2 years out is a good one that Froch has been talking about.  Unfortunately, I think FMJ can do it and with ease.  

I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic about McGregor's chances if FMJ wasn't the best evader of punches of his generation and a good while beforehand too.  I just can't see how McGregor is going to land a punch.  

One of our office girls said her boyfriend has subscribed for the fight PPV - first time he's done so - and a lot of their friends are going to their house to have something to eat and watch it. 

I asked if they knew what time it was going to be on? They didn't. :grin: