BTCC 2017

Andy_Bangle

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one that didn't know that Paul O'Neil is Mel C's half brother?

All 3 races were good today and a few driver's reverting to type.

Subaru not so competitive since the were forced to move their CoG and for once Plato wasn't a media where.

Roll on Donington.

Edited by Cuprabob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe, just maybe, this will make some of them think twice about driving like fücking idiots all the time. BTCC should be better than ever with the size and variety of the grid, but I'm bored to tears of them treating it like a banger race, all because Alan Gow wants it to appeal to the sort of morons who think crashing = excitement.

*Yes I realised that when I read the reports in more detail. The point stands though - the shock of seeing fellow competitors so badly injured might hopefully persuade a few to wind it in a bit. The driving standards across the BTCC schedule seem to be getting worse, and I hear a great deal from disgruntled officials about Alan Gow's lectures to them on "what the fans want". The more the BTCC drivers get away with it the more it filters down to the lower formulae.

*That might read a bit narkier than intended. :P 

Edited by garcon magnifique

I watched most of today and it was pretty good and mostly fairly well behaved. I find it a funny circuit when I've driven in games never gelled with it but most of the drives seemed to really enjoy it.

It was a good day of racing to watch. 

• 1 month later...

The rules are black and white in the MSA blue book, it's just the BTCC series director Alan Gow that likes to add a few shades of grey, cos the fans love the crashin' innit.

Once Gow's ridiculous conflict of interest finally comes to an end when he steps down as Chairman of the MSA at the end of the year, maybe the MSA under new leadership will find the balls to actually start enforcing their own rules.

You can tell the drivers who have the real talent in BTCC. Colin Turkington and Gordon Sheddon are at the top of the standings through speed and racecraft, they rarely get involved in any contact, and if they do it's usually other, slower drivers barging them because they can't beat them legitimately.

There will always be a degree of contact in closed wheel racing, a bit of rubbing, botched passes, but Gow has presided over BTCC becoming a dangerous, glorified version of banger racing where deliberate contact is accepted and drivers are encouraged to take risks endangering themselves, each other and the marshals. I know many stewards, acting and retired, who will be overjoyed to see the back of him as MSA Chairman.